Falkenberg is a district in the Lichtenberg district of Berlin. The village lies on the northeastern edge of town, surrounded by open fields - the former sewage farms of the city.
Name of equality within Berlin are the Falkenberg and Falkenberg Garden City, both in Bohnsdorf in the district of Treptow -Köpenick, near the Grunau S-Bahn station.
From the foundation to the 19th century
The village street was laid out by peasant settlers on the Barnim in the 13th century. The first written mention was followed on June 26, 1370 in a deed Margrave Otto the lazy. From the crest of the rural municipality of Falkenberg no pictorial representations have been preserved. After descriptions it was designed after the seal of the municipality and is a sheaf of corn upright with crossed flail, scythe and rake. This coat of arms image is not of medieval origin.
In 1791, Falkenberg was by Marie -Elisabeth von Humboldt - mother of Wilhelm and Alexander von Humboldt - acquired. She bought the estate of a lieutenant colonel of Lochau. Mrs. von Humboldt was in 1795 to transform the old village church by the Berlin architect Paul Ludwig Simon in the classic style and fitted with a stone tower in Egyptianising forms. In it she found after her death in 1796, with almost 55 years also their last resting - along with her husband Alexander Georg von Humboldt ( 1720-1779 ) and her first husband, Friedrich Ernst von Holwede ( 1723-1765 ) and a daughter who died from his first marriage. The Good Falkenberg inherited Ferdinand of Holwede the son from his first marriage. He sold in 1804 to a member of the family of Alvensleben. In 1875 the city of Berlin, the former manor to the system of sewage.
Falkenberg in the 20th century
The incorporation was followed in 1920 by the Greater Berlin Act; Falkenberg was now a district of the newly created district of Weissensee.
In the 1930s and 1940s, there were only minor enhancements in the area of the old village, as only a few settlements in the direction Ahrensfelde as well as the Catholic Church of St. Conrad of Parzham were newly built. On 21 April 1945 a few days before the invasion of the Red Army blew up the Wehrmacht, the 700 year old village church. Unlike the explosion in the surrounding villages affected not only the tower, which often served as a guide. The family tomb of Marie Elisabeth von Humboldt in the old churchyard - near the Manor Park - 1969 bricked beside the remains of the ruined stone church and provided with a memorial wall. The preserved coffin plates of the tomb and the church flag of 1795 are in the new building erected in 2000 the Protestant church housed Wartenberg in today's district of New Hohenschonhausen.
When the construction of large housing estates in East Berlin began, Falkenberg was hardly affected. The district was outside the interest of urban development. In this context, a small area was incorporated in 1979 with the station Ahrensfelde to Berlin -Marzahn. On September 1, 1985 Falkenberg was removed together with the hamlets Hohenschonhausen, Malchow and Wartenberg from the district of Weissensee and combined to form the new District Hohenschonhausen.
In the course of urban development, the sewage farms were here and in the area in 1968 replaced by a modern sewage treatment plant. The Falkenberg treatment plant now in the district of Marzahn- Hellersdorf served alongside its main function as water purification plant as a water dispenser for the small river Wuhle.
The district from 1990 and in the 21st century
On 1 January 2001 Falkenberg came through the district reform as the other districts Hohenschönhauser Stockhausen to the Lichtenberg district. In the same year the Berlin animal shelter opened a complete new building here. With its architecturally attractive building the plant is always for film directors of interest. The hitherto southern part of Falkenberg, the acute angle extended up to the S -Bahn station Gehrenseestraße, 2002 came to New Hohenschonhausen. That it mitbetroffene new neighborhood is nevertheless still popularly referred to as a development area Falkenberg. The neighboring Falk Krug meadows no longer belong to since the eponymous district. In the newly designed coat of arms of the district of Lichtenberg ( see below), the district symbolized by one of the three golden ears, which stand for the three historical village centers of Malchow, Wartenberg and Falkenberg.
In 2003, the treatment plant was closed and the waste water from its catchment area to be cleaned from the more modern sewage treatment plants in Waßmannsdorf and Schönerlinde. Critics feared that the Wuhle could dry then what did not happen until 2012.
The main road Falkenberg is the village street and the Ahrensfelder road as its eastern extension. The village street again is the eastern extension of the coming of the new residential areas of New Hohenschonhausen Falk Chaussee and from ancient times the connection to Berlin. To the east it merges into the Ahrensfelder road, which forms the south border of Marzahn and eventually go towards Bad Freienwalde (Oder) leads.
In public transport Falkenberg is served by the same terminus of tram lines M4 and M17 on the western edge of the village. In addition, the bus line 197 from Prerower place crosses for Mahlsdorf S-Bahn station in the district of East-West direction.
Monuments and sights
All monuments are located along the village street.
- Number 39: cemetery from the 14th century with a chapel and cemetery built around 1895 the remains of the medieval village church, including the Humboldt tomb.
- Number 1, 4, 13, 31-34, 44, 46 and 51: many residential buildings, stables and barns dating from the second half of the 19th century
In 1856 Count von Arnim had three simplest building Impound and build at this point Gutsarbeiterhaus as a single-storey building with two gables parlors. The outer walls are made of hard-baked red bricks and adobes. In the house lived below eight families, for four but there was only a kitchen. In the two attic rooms unmarried workers of the goods were housed. Certainly the sanitary facilities of the house have been improved in the 20th century, so the building was inhabited until 1972 by three families. In 1978 it was listed as a historic landmark, but was only used as a storage building. After the turn, in 1997, bought a newly formed Friends of the West Country Park Lehmkate. With funds raised by the Friends funds, with the financial assistance of the District Office, with volunteers and headed by Baufachfrau Berlin eV has undergone a comprehensive refurbishment. For the particular merits of historic preservation patrons in 2003 was named after the art historian Ferdinand von Quast medal by the Senate Building. On 11 October 2002, the house could be re-opened. It now serves as the headquarters for the Friends and as an information Barnim field marks. In 2003, the Canadian Lynn Densmore opened the café here Lehmsofa.
Local attractions include also
- Ahrens Chaussee 79/81: Catholic Church of Saint Conrad of Parzham ( cultural monument as a complete system)
- Hausvaterweg 39: Animal Shelter Berlin
- Hausvaterweg 16: Fire Station
- Ahrens Chaussee 41: Barnim Gymnasium
→ See also: List of cultural monuments in Berlin- Falkenberg
In the north of the district on the border with Brandenburg municipality Ahrensfelde is the renatured Gehrensee and the nature reserve Falkenberger sewage.