The Fokker S.IX was a two-seat biplane Fokker - Flugzeugwerke in the service of the Dutch armed forces from 1938 1940.
The S.IX was the successor to the Fokker S.IV. Like its predecessor, it was used mainly for the aeronautical basic training, but was also suitable for aerobatics. The delivered 15 aircraft flew against a superior air opponents predominantly connection, evacuation and medical flights until the surrender of the Netherlands on 14 May 1940. After the Second World War still have 3 aircraft S.IX / 1 with built by Kromhut motors factory Genet Major engines built.
The S.IX was produced in mixture design. The fuselage was of welded steel tube, which was covered at the front with metal, the rear part was covered with fabric. The wings were strong staggered and partly, partly covered with a phenolic resin impregnated plywood with fabric.
There were two production groups, which differed only by the used engine, slightly in -flight performance.
The S.IX / 1 was powered by a five-or seven - cylinder radial engine of Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major engine developing 123 kW (167 hp). Manufacturer was among other things the company Kromhout. A total of about 24 aircraft were completed by this version. Whether all the machines have been delivered, is uncertain. The S.IX / 1 made its maiden flight in 1937 and was until 1940 the standard training aircraft budding Dutch pilots.
The difference S.IX / 1 was the use of a Menasco Buccaneer six-cylinder in-line engine with 165 hp. A construction contract of 27 machines for the Dutch naval aviation could not be met because of the German attack on Holland in the spring of 1940. All were destroyed in the Navy Camp De Kooy.