Ftan Tarasp Castle in the background
Ftan ( [ ftan ]? / I, and German until 1943 officially Fetan ) is a municipality in the district Suot Tasna, District Inn of the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2015 Ftan will be merged with five other municipalities ( Scuol, Ardez, Sent, Guarda and Scuol ) together and form the largest community of Switzerland. With about 4,700 residents, it will be both the largest Romanesque church Grison at all.
The place is on Ftan 1,650 m. In this case, the area of Ftan extends from the Inn to 1,200 m to 3,230 m on Augstenberg. The two largest districts are closely adjacent settlements Ftan Grond and Ftan Pitschen. The names mean in German "Greater Ftan " and "Little Ftan ".
Despite a small German-speaking minority which remained Ftaner the Vallader, a Romansh dialect, loyal until the beginning of World War II (1880 89 %, 1900 92 % and 1941 86%). Then set up in 1980 a decline of the majority language. Since then, a brief Romansh-speaking majority has to say. The language supported by community and school, even gaining more ground again (1990 understood 68%, even 76 % in 2000 Romance). The development of recent decades shows the following table:
Religions and denominations
1542 the Reformation was introduced. Protected Monument is the Reformed church.
Origin and nationality
From the end of 2005 477 inhabitants were 437 ( = 92% ) Swiss nationals.
The inhabitants of Ftan live to a large extent on tourism. But these are small crafts and agriculture - 25 farmers manage about 500 ha of Ftan - not to be underestimated.
Ftan is by bus Ftan - served Scuol Posta - Scuol train station. It is at the stop Scuol train station including a switch option on the trains of the Rhaetian Railway in the direction of Samedan and Pontresina ( railway Bever - Scuol Scuol - ) as well as via Sagliains and Vereinatunnel towards the monastery and country Quart.
Late at night, there is also a direct bus service to neighboring Ardez.
In the field of Ftan is also the breakpoint Ftan Baraigla the railway line Bever - Scuol Scuol. However, the station is situated at 1,335 meters above sea level, which is about 300 meters below the village, from which it is therefore awkward to reach.
Ftan was formerly of the Engadine valley road ( Via imperiala ). The construction of the main road 27 the place is bypassed widely in the valley since 1865.
In the tradition of the nickname of the Engadine villages glad the Ftaner ils muois to German: " the Ox".
On January 6, the feast Babania is celebrated every Saturday before the first Monday in February of Schüschaiver.
- Reformed Church
- House Vulpius
Became known Ftan mainly by the first private school in the canton of Grisons - a boarding school, which used to be only young women trained. Therefore, it was called " Hochalpines Töchterinstitut Ftan ( HTF ) ". 1993, it was renamed " High Alpine Institute Ftan ".
- Stefan Gabriel (around 1570-1638 ), reformed pastor
- Robert Cantieni (1873-1954), composer of folk song Chara lingua da la mamma
Alpine mill dating from the 16th/17th. century
Look at Ftan