John Boardman (art historian)
John Boardman was a student at Chigwell School and student at Magdalene College, Cambridge. He spent several years in Greece, including from 1952 to 1955 as the second director of the British School at Athens. Archaeological excavations he conducted in Smyrna, Crete, Chios and Libya. In 1955, he was for four years deputy curator ( Assistant Keeper ) at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, then a lecturer in Classical archaeologist and a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford. Boardman taught from 1978 to 1994 as Professor of Classical Archaeology ( Lincoln Professor of Classical Archaeology and Art ) at the University of Oxford. Since 1995 he is professor emeritus.
His archaeological researches mainly focus on Greek art, in particular glyptic art, sculpture and vase painting.
Boardman is a member of the British Academy, an associate member of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres (1991) and a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (1969 ) and the Academy of Athens (1997). Boardman is a member of the editorial committee of the Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae and Thesaurus Cultus et Rituum Antiquorum. He was in the non-hereditary peerage raised ( Knight Bachelor, Sir) 1989.
Publications (selection )
- See the font directories John Boardman. A bibliography. In: Greek offerings. Essays on Greek art in honor of John Boardman (Oxford 1997) 231-241.
- Publications by John Boardman, 1952-1999. In: Periplous. Papers on classical art and archeology presented to Sir John Boardman (London 2000) 403-410.
- Greek Gems and Finger Rings. Early Bronze Age to Late Classical. Thames & Hudson, London, 1970, ISBN 0-500-16015-5
- The Greeks Overseas. The Archaeology of Their Early Colonies and Trade. Penguin, Harmondsworth, 1964 German translation. Colonies and trade of the Greeks from the late 9th to the 6th century BC Beck, Munich 1981, ISBN 3-406-08039-1
- Greek Sculpture. The Archaic Period: A Handbook. Thames & Hudson, London 1978, German translation:. Greek sculpture, the archaic period: a handbook. Saverne, Mainz 1981, ISBN 3-8053-0346-7
- Greek Sculpture. The Classical Period: A Handbook Thames & Hudson, London 1985, German translation:. Greek sculpture, the classical period: a handbook. Saverne, Mainz, 1987, ISBN 3-8053-0818-3
- The Diffusion of Classical Art in Antiquity. Thames & Hudson, London 1994, ISBN 0-500-23696-8
- Persia and the West. An Archaeological Investigation of the Genesis of Achaemenid Art Thames & Hudson, London 2000, German translation:. , The Persians and the West. An archaeological study of the evolution of the Achaemenian art. Saverne, Mainz 2003, ISBN 3-8053-2919-9
- Georgios S. Korres: Sir John Boardman. In: Επίσημοι λόγοι. Εθνικό και Καποδιστριακό Πανεπιστημίο Αθηνών 30 ( 1988-91 ) 1059-1063.
- Olga Palagia - Ladopoulou: Sir John Boardman. In: Επίσημοι λόγοι. Εθνικό και Καποδιστριακό Πανεπιστημίο Αθηνών 30 ( 1988-91 ) 1067-1072.
- Donna C. Kurtz: John Boardman 's curatorship of the Cast Gallery, Ashmolean Museum, 1978-1994. In: Periplous. Papers on classical art and archeology presented to Sir John Boardman (London 2000) 178-189.