Montegiardino is a comune ( Italian Comune, sanmarinesisch Castello) of San Marino.


It has 910 inhabitants and an area of 3.31 km ².

Montegiardino borders the municipalities of San Marino and Fiorentino Faetano and to the Italian municipalities Sassofeltrio and Monte Grimano (both Pesaro e Urbino and is the least populated and also the smallest municipality in the country.

The only hamlet (Italian Frazione, sanmarinesich Curazie ) is Cerbaiola (350 meters altitude, about 100 inhabitants).


The city was a Lombard or perhaps even Roman foundation. By the end of the 14th century the place was the property of the Counts of Carpegna ( Pesaro e Urbino ), then it went over to the Malatesta of Rimini. In 1463 it was conquered and annexed by San Marino. In the Middle Ages it was a fortified tower on the chalk rock, where the San Lorenzo church is today, which was built on the ruins of two earlier churches. It dates from 1865 and is dedicated to St. Lawrence of Brindisi. In the church are three longhouses and on the main altar is a manufactured by Adamo Tadolini statue of Saint Marino, as a model of the monument, which is on the altar of the basilica.


  • Chiesa di San Lorenzo, built in 1647 church. Renewed in 1856, 1890 Campanile was completed.


In Montegiardino the Faculty of Economics and Technology, the University of San Marino has its headquarters


Montegiardino is represented with the team SP La Fiorita in the league Campionato Sammarinese di Calcio.


Panorama of Montegiardino

Center of Montegiardino