51.673333333333 - 4.9086111111111Koordinaten: 51 ° 40 ' N, 4 ° 55 ' W
Pembroke [ pɛmbɹʊk ] (Welsh Penfro ) is a Flemish city was founded in the Middle Ages at the entrance to Milford Haven Estuary in South Wales. Pembroke was originally the county town of Pembrokeshire, and has 7,214 inhabitants ( 2001).
The older Pembroke, 1090 incorporated by Royal Charter, is built along a narrow limestone mountain range and surrounded by a city wall. The western end of the city soaring, built by Arnulf de Montgomery and the Haven - area dominant Pembroke Castle was in the 12th and 13th centuries the seat of the Earl of Pembroke. 1457 here was Henry Tudor, later Henry VII, was born.
Although the castle at that time had something of an outpost, presented the strategic importance of the location of yet to justify a further strengthening of the system in the first 150 years. The first consisting of stone extensions go back to the mid-13th century. The city wall dates from this period.
In the English Civil War Pembroke was known as the mayor, John Poyer 1648 despite the majority local support for Parliament sided with the royalists. Together with a group of sympathizers, he occupied the castle - was already a formidable festivals - and gave up only after Cromwell's troops had taken the city with artillery fire and under a lot of damage.
In the Middle Ages, introduced by the Flemish immigrants textile fabrication of the city brought a period of prosperity that was already before the 16th century come to an end.
The first branch of the Industrial Revolution, which penetrated into the rural areas of Britain mainly by rail, Pembroke reached in 1863 with the opening of the rail link to Tenby. A few years later another, belonging to the Great Western Railway railway lines were added.
Today, Pembroke mainly a market town and tourist center, close to the attractions of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and several other attractions such as the resorts of Tenby and Saundersfoot, the towns of Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven, castles Manorbier Castle and Carew Castle, the beaches on the coast, the market town of Narberth, the picturesque Haven Waterway and the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
In Pembroke, the largest gas - and -steam combined cycle power plant of Great Britain came into being. The officially went into operation after more than three years of construction on September 19, 2012 power plant was built npower and RWE Technology for over 800 million euros of RWE and provides over 2000 MW. It consists of five identical blocks. The gas turbines are of the type GT26 Alstom, formerly Asea Brown Boveri (ABB Ltd. ). The power plant has an efficiency of about 60% and among the most efficient in the UK. Cooled it with water from the Milford Haven Waterway.
There is also a refinery from Valero Energy, which employs 1400 workers (as of 2011 ).
The Main Street is a busy shopping street and runs through the entire Old Town. Along the road are a number of buildings of Georgian and Tudor period.
There are two historic churches in Pembroke: the church of St. Mary was founded in 1260 and is located near the ruins of a Benedictine monastery from 1098, the church was reconstructed in 1882. In addition, a local history museum invites you to visit.