Rimas Kurtinaitis ( born May 15, 1960 in Kaunas) is a Lithuanian basketball coach and former basketball player. He played successfully at Zalgiris Kaunas, CSKA Moscow and Real Madrid, as well as in the Soviet and after 1991 in the Lithuanian national team. He belongs to the successful generation of Lithuanian basketball player Arvydas Sabonis to. As one of the best wingers of his time to 1.96 m wide Kurtinaitis was known both as Anspieler as well as Europe's best three-point shooter. At the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, he was Olympic champion with the team of the Soviet Union. Four years later he won the bronze medal in Barcelona, this time with the Lithuanian team. In 1993 he went to Australia and played at the Townsville Suns, however, moved the following year to Real Madrid. In 2003 he became national coach in Azerbaijan.
Rimas Kurtinaitis belonged in early 2008 to a circle of 105 basketball players who were nominated by the Euro League Basketball and / or basketball interested, actively fifty major personalities of the sport of basketball in Europe in the period 1958 to 2008, determine and subsequently in May 2008 in Madrid (Spain ) honor can. All nominated players have played a particularly prominent role in the European Cup competitions of FIBA Europe and the Euro League basketball and belonged respectively to the most prominent ' stars' of their national league teams.
From 1997 to 2001 he was Director of the Departament of Physical Culture and Sports ( KKSD ).
Successes as a player
- Olympic champion in 1988
- Olympic bronze medal winner 1992 and 1996
- Vice World Champion 1986
- European Champion 1985
- Vice European Champion 1987 and 1995
- EM- third in 1989
- Soviet champions Zalgiris Kaunas with 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1982 with CSKA Moscow
- Soviet runner-up with " Zalgiris Kaunas " 1983, 1984, 1988, 1989
- Intercontinental Cup winner with " Zalgiris Kaunas " 1986
- Spanish champions Real Madrid in 1994, 1995
- Lithuanian champion with " Zalgiris Kaunas " 1996
- Most Valuable Player ( MVP ) of the 1996 season
- Lithuanian runner-up with Atletas Kaunas 1998
- Lithuanian Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius runner-up with 1999
- Lithuanian Cup winner with " Lietuvos Rytas " 1999