Weil der Stadt station
- Württemberg Black Forest Railway ( KBS 790.6 )
The train station in Weil of the city lies at kilometer 25.6 of the Württemberg Black Forest Railway, which ends here because the route section will no longer navigate to Calw. The station is the starting and end point of the line S 6 S-Bahn Stuttgart.
- 3.1 S -Bahn
Planning and construction
In September 1862, the Royal Württemberg State Railways considered the construction of a railway line from Illingen over Vaihingen an der Enz and Weil der Stadt to Calw. However, they pursued this project not long. Because the Württemberg government negotiated with the government of Baden, to be able to create the starting point of Nagold Valley Railway in Pforzheim. The Baden government approved in February 1865 construction.
On 13 August 1865, parliament decided to build a railway line from Zuffenhausen about Leonberg to Calw. This included the connection of Weil der Stadt to the rail network. The state railway laid the train station north of the city. The station building has been highly representative. It is still preserved, but is now used for other purposes.
State Railway time
The opening of the second path portion of Ditzingen up Because the city took place on 1 December 1869. Elaborate the section through the Black Forest to Calw, the state railway took on 20 June 1872 in operation. The Black Forest Railway lost after the completion of Gäubahn in September 1879 significance. A planned branch of Weil der Stadt Pforzheim was never built.
Despite railway connection because the city remained dominated by agriculture. It was only in 1893 established a drapers south and outside the city walls a factory with four mechanical looms. From it later went out the rugs factory Beyerle. The increase in population and industrial development remained limited though. 1910 just 1,859 people lived in the city. A number barely higher than that of the past decades. The inhabitants built mostly on hops and had sheep.
The German Reichsbahn thinned the through connections on the Black Forest Railway. In 1939 there were weekdays only nine trains plying directly between Stuttgart Hbf and Calw. Most trains from Stuttgart ended in Leonberg or Renningen. Nevertheless, the Reichsbahn electrified the Black Forest Railway on 18 December 1939 to Weil der Stadt. For the small town with its 2,200 inhabitants is meant to connect to the Stuttgart suburb of traffic. Through trains from Stuttgart to Calw and in the opposite direction were re-clamped in Weil der Stadt.
Federal Railroad Time
From the electric local mode in the 1960s, the project of the Stuttgart S-Bahn was built. Because the city was to be the end point of one of the lines. On 1 October 1978, the German Federal Railroad took the S- Bahn line S 6 in operation. This finally ended the continuous transport from Stuttgart to Calw. Between Weil der Stadt Calw wrong and railcars until the Federal Railroad on May 29, 1983 ceased passenger services on this section. The freight to Althengstett ended after a landslide in Ostelsheim in March 1988.
For years, the district of Calw and the club Württemberg Black Forest Railway Calw -Weil endeavor of the city to the reactivation of the route to possibly extend the S 6 to Calw.
The station building looks almost atypical with its extremely wide and three-storey central block with shallow hipped roof, to the otherwise rather slender design of the Royal Württemberg State Railways. Left and right of the center building are each two -storey annexes. The facade of the building is built of red variegated sandstones, which are to be found in buildings in Weil der Stadt and environment (eg: City Church, arched pillar at the Town Hall). The frames of the windows and doors are made of yellow sandstone and form a contrast. Also carved in yellow sandstone, the station name WEILDERSTADT at both extensions.
The station is served by the S-Bahn Stuttgart. It has two platform tracks. The S-Bahn line S 6 start on track 1
The train station in Weil of the city corresponds, according to the Deutsche Bahn AG, the train station category 4