* This name is listed on the World Heritage List. ª The region is classified by UNESCO.

The Wies Church is a remarkably richly designed sanctuary in belonging to the community Steingaden Wies in the so-called Bavarian " Pfaff angle". The full name of the Wies Church is The Sanctuary of the Scourged Saviour on the meadow. The church is located in the diocese of Augsburg. Patron of the Church of St. Joseph.

The pilgrimage church " of the Scourged Saviour " in Freising is also referred to as " Wies Church ," while the branch church of the Holy Cross is called in Berbling " small meadow ". However, this latter title also assume the parishes of St. Ulrich in Seeg and St. Gordian and Epimachus in Stöttwang, and Sebastian chapel in Wertach and the St. Anne's Chapel of the Convent Buxheim claim for themselves.


The foundation of the church goes back to a pilgrimage that had existed since 1739. It originated from the worship of a statue of the Scourged Saviour, which was made ​​in 1730 by Father Magnus Straub and brother Lukas Schweiger in the Upper Bavarian monastery stone Gaden. The statue was 1732-34 supported in the Good Friday procession of the convent, but came in 1738 in private hands of a farmer on the meadow, site of the summer and the rest-house of the monastery a few kilometers southeast of the town. On June 14, 1738 farmer Maria Lory in the eyes of the figure noticed some drops, which she held for tears. The following year in 1739 led prayers and minor pilgrimages to the portrait of the Saviour to the construction of a small country chapel. 1744, permission has been obtained, in the chapel to say Mass, making pilgrimages received the official blessing of the Church.

Wies Church was built from 1745 to 1754 by the brothers Johann Baptist and Dominic Zimmermann. The construction brought the stone monastery Gaden in great financial difficulties. Thus, the construction cost increased from the original estimate of 39,000 fl to eventually 180,000 florins, together with other obligations led to an overall financial burden from which the monastery until its dissolution during the secularization in 1803, never fully recovered.

It is often rumored, the Bavarian State had planned in the course of secularization to auction or demolish the Wies Church, and that only local farmers had reached the preservation of the building. Documents can, however, on the contrary, that the cancellation Commission of 1803 - explicitly expressed for the continuation of the pilgrimage in the meadow - against economic concerns of the admire Steingaden Abts.

In 1983, the Wies Church was declared a World Heritage Site and restored from 1985 to 1991 for 10.6 million DM. Today, annually visiting more than one million people, the church. She is a regular venue of church music concerts.

The large main festivals of the meadow are: May 1, the opening of the pilgrimage year, on 14 June and the following Sunday the feast of the tears of Christ ( the memory of the tears wonder and origin of the pilgrimage ), the guardian angel festival the first Sunday of September in memory of the consecration and the Feast of the Brotherhood of the Scourged Saviour on the meadow on the second Sunday in October. Festive, the Kar and Easter liturgy in the meadow is committed. At the church is the " Confraternitas Domini Nostri Flagellati " ( Brotherhood of the Scourged Saviour on the meadow ), whose members are dedicated to the special veneration of the Scourged Saviour. Today it includes over 350 members consisting of priests and lay people.


From 1745 to 1754 the Zimmermann brothers built under the direction of Abbot Marinus II Mayer the present church in the style of Rococo.

The altarpiece of the Munich court painter Balthasar August Albrecht.

The four figures of the great theologians of the West ( Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great) are the mature age work of the Tyrolean sculptor Anton storm.

The flattened dome ceiling is painted with a trompe l'oeil fresco.


The organ dates back to a two-manual organ grinding shop, which had been built in 1757 by Johann Georg Hear Erich. This instrument was redesigned in 1928 by the organ builder Siemann according to the then prevailing taste, which, inter alia, the mechanical key action was replaced by a pneumatic action.

Built Gerhard Schmid from Kaufbeuren in the historic rococo case of Dominic Zimmermann, a new instrument with slider chests, mechanical key and stop action pneumatic 1959. Added a swell. From the historic organ of 1757 about 600 pipes were taken as well as some registers, the firm had added Siemann 1928.

In 2010, the organ by organ builder Claudius Winterhalter Oberharmersbach has been completely refurbished and rebuilt. An attempt was made to incorporate both pipes from the former Listen Erich organ as well as from the conversion of Schmid, which existed until 2010 in the concept of the new meadow organ. The carpenter - cabinet has been retained. The instrument has 42 registers on three manuals and pedal. The Spieltrakturen are mechanical, the Registertrakturen mechanically and electrically.

  • Couplers: II / I, III / I, III / II, I / P, II / P III / P
  • Effect register: Glockenspiel


The bell tower of seven bells ( Schlagtonfolge: f1 - as1 -b1- c2 - es2 - f2 - GeS2 )

Four of the bells form a coherent baroque bells ( as1 -c2 - es2 - GeS2 ). It was cast by Abraham Brandtmair and Francis core of Augsburg in the years 1750/51/53.

1964 added the bell foundry Hofweber from Regensburg the stock by three bells.

As Angelus bell at 6:00, 12:00 to 18:00 clock serves the Anna Bell ( Bell 2); in the evening the little death bell joins. Outside the Holy Week reminds every Friday at 15:00 clock the great bell at the Trinity Sterbstunde Christ. For ringing in the Sundays, Saturdays at 15:00 clock, the four-part baroque sounds of bells, as well as both 15 and 5 minutes before Sunday Masses. On working days, heralding a motif consisting of three bells (b1- c2 es2 ). The full peal is the solemnities reserved.


Wies Church Kuppelfreskeen by Johann Baptist Zimmermann

Miraculous image of the scourged Savior



Altarpiece of the church before the field Wies Church