Roman Catholic Diocese of Augsburg
The Diocese of Augsburg (Latin: Dioecesis Augustana Vindelicorum ) is a Roman Catholic diocese in southwest Bavaria. It includes almost all the Bavarian administrative region of Swabia, but also parts of the altbaierischen area east of the Lech and some areas in the western Middle Franconia.
- 3.1 Nazi martyr
- 3.2 bishops
- 3.3 Current
- 7.1 Schulwerk of the Diocese of Augsburg
- 7.2 colleges
- 8.1 Exercises houses
- 8.2 Foundations for the disabled
- 8.3 Diocesan Museum
- 8.4 monasteries
- 8.5 Formation of Priests
- 9.1 churches
- 9.2 Sanctuaries
- 9.3 places of worship
History of the Diocese
Vindelicorum Augusta ( Augsburg) was the capital of the Roman province of Raetia secunda a place in the by the Roman Empire were already isolated first Christians. The diocese of patron St. Afra was the first faith witness, who was put to death for their faith by the Romans beginning of the 4th century.
Under Bishop Simpert, another patron diocese was founded around the year 800 centers of culture, such as the Benedictine Benediktbeuren, Wessobrunn or Ottobeuren. Even St. Ulrich coined about 100 years later, the diocese and the history in which it was received mainly through the Battle of Lechfeld in 955. The diocese belonged to the ecclesiastical province of Mainz.
1530 was sealed the split between the Catholic and the Protestant church in Augsburg at the Diet. A short time later erected under the supervision of the Jesuit Father Peter Canisius in Dillingen on the Danube in 1549 a Catholic reform University ( Collegium St. Hieronymi ), which was known far beyond the diocese borders.
In the Baroque era, the heyday for builders, plasterers and painters developed in the south of the diocese. To date, the time incurred countless monasteries and parish churches dominate the south of the diocese and were named after the so-called Pfaff angle. Examples include the builder of Wessobrunner school, Marie Muenster in Unterdießen, the monasteries Benediktbeuren and St. Ottilie or pilgrimage churches such as the monastery of Andechs Abbey and the Wies Church in Stone Gaden, which today is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. But not only the southern part of the diocese is dominated by Baroque churches and monasteries, which thus can be seen that parts of central Swabia - especially the area of today's district Günzburg - Swabian Baroque Route are mentioned.
A little later the church was expropriated in the secularization. The Benedictine monk Placidus Brown was 1813-1815 in four volumes, the first history of the bishops of Augsburg out. Beginning of the 19th century the diocese of Augsburg was reorganized. The diocese borders changed and in many Catholic societies, more and more committed lay people in the Church. Even religious communities were at this time a large increase.
Diocese cartridge are the Holy Bishop Ulrich, the Holy Afra and the Holy Bishop Simpert.
- Bernhard Heinzmann, parochial vicar
- Michael Kitzelmann
- Alfred Kranzfelder
- Michael Lerpscher
- Joseph reputation
- The Legend of Afra of Augsburg report a bishop Narcissus in Augsburg (see Narcissus of Girona)
- St. Simpert is third patron saint for the city and diocese of Augsburg
- St. Ulrich, Ulrich of Augsburg known as, had a great share in the victory over the Hungarians at the Battle of Lechfeld.
- Under Bishop Burkhard Ellerbach of the office of bishop lost almost all of its temporal power
- Bishop Sigmund Franz was ordained bishop of Augsburg in 1646 without
From 1992 to 2004, Bishop Josef Viktor Dammertz OSB than 70 diocesan bishop the diocese of Augsburg. With the coming of the 75th year of life on 8 June 2004, Pope John Paul II Dammertz ' to resignation.
Then Bishop Josef Grünwald managed as diocesan administrator the diocese.
On July 16, 2005 Pope Benedict XVI appointed. the former bishop of Eichstätt Walter Mixa the 60th successor of St. Ulrich. Mixa was introduced formally in office on 1 October 2005 and thus ordinary of the diocese of Augsburg. 8 December 2007 consecrated Bishop Mixa in a solemn Pontifical Mass in St. Mary's Cathedral of Augsburg Augsburg of the diocese without original sin received the Blessed Virgin Mary. After enduring ill-treatment and Veruntreuungsvorwürfen Mixa offered April 21, 2010 Pope Benedict XVI. his resignation from the office of the Bishop of Augsburg and of the military Bishop of the Bundeswehr, the he accepted on May 8 of the same year.
During the period of vacancy of 8 May to 23 October In 2010, Bishop Josef Grünwald the diocese as diocesan administrator. On July 8, 2010, Pope Benedict XVI. the previous Görlitz Bishop Konrad Zdarsa the new bishop of Augsburg; He was inaugurated on October 23.
- Cathedral, cathedral and parish church of Augsburg: High Cathedral of Our Lady of Augsburg
- Minor Basilica of St. Ulrich and St. Afra. In the crypt under the main altar, in front of the presbytery, there are the remains of St. Ulrich and St. Afra.
- As a co-cathedral of the diocese is the Papal Basilica Minor of St. Peter in Dillingen.
- Church buildings in the diocese of Augsburg
The Basilica of St. Ulrich and Afra, grave lay the diocese cartridge
The Co-Cathedral Basilica of St. Peter in Dillingen
Canons in Augsburg are:
- Provost Auxiliary Bishop Anton Losinger
- Domdekan prelate Bertram Meier
- Monsignor Peter C. Manz
- Bishop Wolfgang Hacker
- Bishop Franz -Reinhard Daffner
- Prelate Karlheinz Knebel
- Vicar General Msgr Harald Heinrich
- Dean Walter Schmiedel
- Michael Kreuzer
- " Vacancy "
The canons are retired:
- Auxiliary Bishop em. Dean emeritus Josef Grünwald
- Apostolic prothonotary Georg Beis
- Apostolic prothonotary Georg Schmuttermayr
- Prelate Konstantin Kohler
- Monsignor Konrad Hölzl
- Prelate Dietmar Bernt
- Bishop emeritus. Manfred Müller (Regensburg)
- Monsignor Eugene Kleindienst
The Diocese of Augsburg is assigned as suffragan of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. The diocese consists of 1001 parishes in 23 deaneries.
Until 30 November 2012, the diocese of Augsburg consisted of eight so-called diocesan regions ( Augsburg, Weilheim, Kaufbeuren - Eastern Allgäu, Kempten, Memmingen- Allgäu sub, Neu-Ulm, Donau-Ries and Old Bavaria ) with 36 deaneries. This structure was resolved in the wake of the Diocese of reform under the heading " Planning 2025". The diocesan regions of the diocese were replaced from December 1, 2012 by 23 deaneries.
- Aichach -Friedberg (previously Aichach and Friedberg )
- I Augsburg (previously Augsburg-Ost )
- Augsburg II (previously Augsburg Center, Augsburg -South, Augsburg- West)
- Augsburg -Land (previously Dinkelscherben and Meitingen )
- Benediktbeuren ( with exclave Monastery Schlehdorf )
- Dillingen (previously Dillingen and Blenheim )
- Donauwörth (previously Donauwörth and Rain)
- Günzburg (previously Günzburg and Krumbach )
- Landsberg (previously Landsberg and Unterdießen )
- Market Oberndorf (previously Marktoberdorf and feet )
- Memmingen ( Memmingen so far and Ottobeuren )
- Neuburg -Schrobenhausen (previously Neuburg and Schrobenhausen )
- Neu-Ulm ( Neu-Ulm, and so far Illertissen )
- Weilheim -Schongau (previously Schongau Weilheim )
School work of the diocese of Augsburg
In the diocese there is a school work, which acts as a carrier of Church schools in the Diocese and cooperates with other state schools. Currently there are eleven high schools, 21 secondary schools and seven academies and vocational schools in its ownership. Administratively assigned are the Schulwerk the Augsburg Cathedral Boys' Choir, the Academy for pastoral community in Neuburg an der Donau and the Franz von Assisi School, a Catholic elementary school in Augsburg Free.
- University of Augsburg - Faculty of Catholic Theology
- Former Philosophy and Theology College of the Salesians of Don Bosco, Benediktbeuren
- The Department of the Catholic Foundation University of Munich in Benediktbeuren
- Pastoral Theological Institute of the SAC in Friedberg
University pastoral and academic communities offers the diocese of Augsburg at the universities, at the Fachhochschule Kempten and the Institut Benediktbeuren the Catholic Foundation University of Munich.
- Retreat House St. Paul in Leitershofen
- Retreat in the monastery of St. Ottilia
- Institute of Mary Ward sisters in Augsburg
- Education House St. Martin in the monastery in Bern Ried
- Family Education Centre in Rye Castle Monastery
- Education House St. Raphael in Kempten
Foundations for the disabled
- Dominic - Ringeisen -Werk in Ursberg
- Rain Wagner Foundations in Dillingen
- Handicapped St. John
Since mid-2000 there is the Diocesan Museum of St. Afra, are shown in the exhibits from the history of the diocese. It is located on the north side of the High Cathedral of Augsburg.
In the diocese of Augsburg there are several monasteries that are no longer cultivated in part by religious communities. Among the most famous monasteries include:
- Archabbey of St. Ottilia
- Andechs Monastery
- Monastery Rye Castle
- Monastery Elchingen
- Monastery Wessobrunn
- Monastery Ursberg
- Monastery Oberschönenfeld
- Monastery Ottobeuren
The diocese of Augsburg is the diocesan seminary Augsburg available, which was formerly a resident as Collegium St. Hieronymi in Dillingen. It was built in 1549 and published in 1970 by Bishop Josef Stimpfle to Augsburg.
Culture and sights
- World Heritage Wies Church near Steingaden
- Marienmunster in Diessen
- Kloster Andechs
- Holy Cross Church, Landsberg am Lech
- St. John's Church in Landsberg am Lech
- Basilica of St. Ulrich and Afra in Augsburg
- Parish Church of the Assumption in Landsberg am Lech
- Minster St. Georg of Dinkelsbühl
- Notre Dame Cathedral in Donauwörth
- Franciscan monastery in Kaufbeuren
- St. Lawrence Basilica in Kempten ( Allgäu)
- St. Joseph in Memmingen
- Cathedral of Our Lady in Augsburg
- Monastery Church of St. Benedict in Benediktbeuren
- Monastery of St. Magnus in Fussen
- Kloster Andechs ( oldest pilgrimage in Bavaria )
- Maria Vesperbild
- Maria in misery
- Monastery Church of St. Benedict in Benediktbeuren
- Maria on floor in Fuchstal - Asch
- Pilgrimage Church of St. Michael in Violau
- Mary Help of Lechfeld
- Pilgrimage church Maria Hilf in Speiden ( in feet )
- Sanctuary ' Herrgottsruh ' in Friedberg
Places of worship
- Marienfried, east of Oberpfaffenhofen in Roth
In the diocese of Augsburg there are offered in addition to the regional calendar for the German language area own regional celebrations.
Abbreviations: H = High strength, F = Fixed, G = optional memorial, g = not optional memorial
- The greatest portable censer in the world is owned by the Diocese of Augsburg, and is usually kept in the county town of Mindelheim.
It was blessed by Pope John Paul II.
Due to a relatively high unemployment and tax reforms fell to Augsburg revenue from church taxes. It also came in the first half of 2010 in the diocese of Augsburg to many leaving the church. This forces the Diocese line, to reduce their expenses. Within all departments and personnel have been reduced. Previously, the financial situation of the diocese had eased somewhat between 2006 and 2008, as the church tax revenues were increased slightly. For the crisis year of 2009, the diocese of Augsburg planned a budget of € 289.7 million, which is five percent less than in 2008.
For 2010, the diocese was planning (as of February 22, 2010 ) a balanced budget with revenue and expenditure of EUR 278.3 million. 175 million euros of which are personnel costs ( personnel cost ratio = 63.5 %).
In the notes to the diocese Budget 2011 Finance Director Klaus Donaubauer explained achieved this goal as again, the budget was balanced in revenue and expenditure: Overall, we can be argued for this year with satisfaction that the scope of the revenue can cover the expenses incurred.