Roman Catholic Diocese of Passau
The Diocese of Passau (Latin: Dioecesis Passaviensis ) is a diocese in the east of Bavaria. It comprises the eastern part of the district of Lower Bavaria and the room Altötting -Burghausen in Oberbayern. The Diocese of Passau with about 89 percent (as of 31 December 2010), the highest proportion of all German Catholics dioceses.
The diocese is a co-sponsor of the Catholic University of Eichstätt.
- 8.1 churches
- 8.2 monasteries
The diocese was founded in 739 by Boniface. It was the time of the Holy Roman Empire of 42,000 km ², the largest diocese, stretching over Vienna to the West of Hungary. The history of the diocese, however, begins much earlier. Around the year 300, the first Roman inhabitants were baptized. The Holy St. Florian, the itinerant bishop St. Valentin and St. Severin lived in this earlier time in the territory of the diocese of Passau.
Until the first decade of the eleventh century the bishopric of Passau handed in the east to March and Leitha ( eastern Austrian border rivers ) and in the south to the foothills. By law, it could be described as Danube diocese. Since the diocese almost entirely concentrated in Austria, there have been difficulties with the Austrian rulers who wore the intention to separate the Austrian diocese share. Therefore, the bishops of Passau end of the 15th century the bishopric into two major administrative units ( Offizialate ) decided to split. The Habsburg Emperor Frederick III. succeeded in 1469 in obtaining from Pope Paul II in the papal bull supramae dignitatis specula, the new bishoprics Vienna and Wiener Neustadt were separated from the diocese of Passau through Austria.
From the 14th to the 17th century, the diocese experienced many ups and downs. In the time of the Council of Trent Prince Bishop Urban of separation Bach (1561-1598) had a blessing in Passau. He stabilized the devotion to the Catholic faith and was a benevolent but strict church. In 1722, after centuries of effort achieved the exemption from the ecclesiastical province of Salzburg under Bishop Joseph Dominic von Lamberg. 1783, the remaining Austrian part of the diocese was separated. From them the dioceses Linz and St. Pölten emerged.
During the secularization of Passau in 1805 lost the secular principality. Similarly, all worldly possessions were withdrawn and canceled almost all the monasteries. 1826 the diocese lost its exemption and was suffragan of Munich and Freising. 1813 and 1822, the diocese has been extended to the southern area around Simbach, Altötting and Burghausen, which had previously belonged to the Archbishopric of Salzburg.
The Diocese of Passau has today an area of 5442 km ² with about 520,000 Catholics. The diocese includes 306 parishes, which are supported by more than 220 priests. Meanwhile, the formation of parish associations is as far advanced, that the 306 parishes are now divided into 117 more parochial associations. 2012 an administrative act was performed, in which the 117 parish associations were again reduced to 86 to be the shortage of priests Lord.
St. Stephen's Cathedral is the Church diocese. He's probably in the late Roman period its early origins. The interior of the Cathedral is mostly decorated baroque, the choir has been preserved from the Gothic period. In the Cathedral, the largest church organ in a cathedral located with 17,774 pipes and 255 registers ( see main article organs of the Cathedral of St. Stephen ). There are a total of five organ works that can be played together by a main game table. The largest organ pipe has a length of about eleven meters and a weight of 502 kilograms.
To the Diocese of Passau is one of the famous pilgrimage place Altötting, which is visited each year by more than a million pilgrims. The devotees visit the Marian shrine on the one hand because of the "Black Madonna" in the chapel, at the site itself occurred two healing miracles in 1489, partly because of St. Brother Conrad of Parzham, who worked as a janitor in the local Capuchin monastery.
Historically significant is also the Sanctuary Mariahilf whether Passau. The 1622 -founded pilgrimage obtained after the second Turkish siege of Vienna and the Battle of Vienna in 1683 to great importance, as the miraculous image of Mary Our Lady of Passau became the "state of grace picture" of the Habsburg monarchy.
The diocese cartridges include the St. Valentine, St. Maximilian and St. Brother Conrad of Parzham.
- St. Brother Conrad (1818-1894), born December 22, 1818 in Parzham
- Paul Augustin Cardinal Mayer, OSB (* May 23, 1911 in Altötting ) - ( 1911-2010 )
- Benedict XVI. , Emeritus pope, born in Marktl to Altötting
- Georg Ratzinger, former Director of Music in Regensburg, born in Pleiskirchen to Altötting
The number of deaneries in the diocese of Passau was reduced by the 2010 reform from 17 to ten:
- Freyung -Grafenau
- Vilshofen on the Danube
- Landau ( 2010 Deanery parishes )
Culture and sights
- St. Stephan's Cathedral
- Church of St. Anton
- Church of St. Gertraud
- Church of St. Joseph
- Church of St. Michael
- Church of St. Paul
- Church of St. Peter
- Church of St. Severin
- Hospital Church of St. John
- Grace Altotting
- Sanctuary Gartlberg ( parishes )
- Sanctuary Mariahilf
- Sanctuary shield Thurn
- Pilgrimage Church of St. Salvator
- Sanctuary Sammarei
- Sanctuary Handlab
- Church buildings in the diocese of Passau
- Former Franciscan Monastery (1564-1803)
- Nikola Monastery
- Former monastery Niedernburg (739-1806)
- Former monastery Sankt Oswald (1396-1803)
- Monastery Niederaltaich
- Former monastery Rinchnach (1011-1803)
- Monastery Schweiklberg
- Capuchin Monastery Passau
- Capuchin Monastery Altötting
- Former monastery Fuerstenzell (1274-1803)
- Former monastery Alder Bach (1120-1804)
- Former monastery Asbach (1091-1803)
- Former Franciscan Mary on the rocks (?)
- Former Franciscan Monastery, Neuoetting (1715-1803)
- Former monastery Osterhofen (?)
- Former monastery St.Salvator / Passau (1501-1803)
- Former monastery St.Salvator / Grisbach in the red valley (1289-1803)
- Former Franciscan Gartlberg (?)
- Former Raitenhaslach (1123-1803)
- Monastery Thyrnau
- Former Capuchin monastery Vilshofen (1642-1802)
- Former collegiate Vilshofen (1376-1803)
- Former monastery Vornbach (1050-1803)
- Former collegiate Altötting (876-1803)
The regional calendar for the German language area is complemented in the diocese of Passau by the following self- celebrations ( in brackets behind each of the ranking and the liturgical color):
- JANUARY 5: John Neumann; Missionary and Bishop of Philadelphia ( G - white)
- January 7: Valentine of Raetia; Bishop of Raetia, First Diocesan Patron ( H - white)
- January 8: Severin of Noricum; Missionary and monastic founder (G - white)
- APRIL 21: Konrad von Parzham; Capuchin lay brother, Third Diocesan Patron ( F - white)
- May 1: Mary, Patroness of Bavaria (H - white)
- May 4: Florian of Lorch and companions; Martyrs ( g - red)
- MAY 5: Godehard of Hildesheim; Abbot of Niederaltaich, Bishop of Hildesheim (G - white)
- May 7: Gisela of Bavaria; Queen of Hungary, Abbess of Niedernburg (G - white)
- August 3 Domkirchweihe; Authentic ordination date was August 5th 985 (F, H in the cathedral - white)
- August 9: Altmann of Passau; Bishop of Passau, the only bishop of Passau, who is venerated as a saint (G - white)
- September 13: Notburgastraße of rats mountain; Tyrolean folk saints ( G - white)
- October 9: Gunther; Monk and hermit (G - white)
- OCTOBER 12: Maximilian of Celeia; Martyr, Bishop of Lauriacum, Second Diocesan Patron ( F - Red)
- December 12: Hartmann of Brixen; Bishop of Brixen (G - white)
Note: For the precedence following abbreviations are used in the following order: