Template: Infobox church in Germany / Maintenance / market
The place is known especially by the Benedictine Ottobeuren. Ottobeuren is industrial in character and as a center of the market has the lower level of administration for the surrounding area.
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Coat of Arms
- 3.3 flag
- 3.4 community partnerships
- 4.1 monuments
- 5.1 traffic
- 5.2 Healthcare
- 5.3 Social Services
- 5.4 Local businesses
- 5.5 Tourism
- 5.6 Education
- 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 6.2 Other personalities
Ottobeuren is located about ten kilometers southeast of Memmingen in the Danube-Iller region. The landscape is dominated by the sweeping relief, which was formed by the gravel deposits during the last ice ages. The area is one of Upper Swabia. Through the municipality runs the Western Günz.
The municipality consists of the districts Ottobeuren, Betzisried, Guggenberg Haitzen and Ollarzried and a part of the district of laughter (the other part of the district forms the municipality of laughter).
To market Ottobeuren includes the villages of Ottobeuren, Betzisried, Bibelsberg, Brüchlins, Daßberg, For Mountain, Eggisried, Eheim, Principal's, Fröhlins, Guggenberg Gumpratsried, Good, Hahnenbühl, Haitzen, Half, Hesse, height, yard, Klosterwald, Langenberg, Leupolz, Neuvogelsang, Niebers, Oberhaslach, Upper Ried, oil Brecht, Ollarzried, Rempolz, Reuthen, Schachen, Schellenberg, Schiessenhof, Schochenhof, Shors, Schrallen, Steeger, Stephansried, Unterhaslach, sub Schochen, Vogelsang, Wetzlins and Wolfert. Walked is the place top moaning.
According to legend, Otto Beuren was founded around 550 as a clearing settlement of a Uot and named after him Uotbeuren. In the 8th century the village to a Frankish Reichshof and seat of the Earl Silach was. The Benedictine monastery was founded in 764 Ottobeuren. 972 the monastery of Emperor Otto I was raised to the imperial abbey. In the 11th century church and monastery were newly built, built in the 11th and 12th centuries after fires on both occasions. 1365 the Abbey lost independence and became part of the diocese of Augsburg. The Romanesque church was in the German Peasants' War damaged in the 16th century and rebuilt in the Renaissance style to 1558. In the Thirty Years' War, the monastery was damaged and looted. After Abbot Rupert Ness was able to regain the imperial immediacy, the abbey began in 1711 with the complete construction of the monastery in baroque style. Finally, a large new church was ( today's " Basilica " ) built from 1737 to 1766, which completed the baroque " total work of art " Otto Beuren. With two years late in 1766 was the millennial monastery anniversary to be celebrated in the new church.
1802, the monastery was transferred to the Kingdom of Bavaria in the context of secularization. The convent of the Benedictine monastery continued to exist, however, as the monks were allowed to continue to live in a wing of the monastery, but no more admissions were possible. Other parts of the monastery were used as, inter alia, district court, barracks and homes. In 1834 the monastery was founded by King Ludwig I as a priory of the abbey of St. Stephen New in Augsburg, in 1918 it was again independent abbey. Are the only large Upper Swabian Baroque monasteries Ottobeuren thus has an uninterrupted by the secularization of monastic tradition. There live about 20 Benedictine monks. The monastery is currently also used as a museum, school and training center. For 1200 years anniversary of the founding of the monastery church and convent in 1964 have been completely renovated. 1952 were filmed nose in Ottobeuren large parts of the tale dwarf.
The history of the local market Ottobeuren is closely linked with that of the monastery. After the secularization of the monastery church was the parish church of the market, the parish church of St. Peter was closed and later converted into a school. Since 1957 Ottobeuren is recognized Kneipp health resort and so preserves the heritage of the district Stephansried born and raised in Ottobeuren priest Sebastian Kneipp. Due to the proximity to the holiday region Allgäu Ottobeuren marketed with the slogan Allgäu for the senses.
In addition to the Roman Catholic church and the Basilica as a parish church, there is also an evangelical church that holds its services in the 1957 built Church of the Redeemer. The former Catholic parish church was rebuilt in the 20th century as a spa.
On January 1, 1972, the formerly independent communities Betzisried, Guggenberg and Haitzen were incorporated. On 1 July 1972, added Ollarzried. This was followed by parts of the territory of the neighboring municipality of laughter on 1 May 1978 ( Niebers and Schiessenhof ).
First Mayor of the municipality is Bernd Schäfer from the CSU. The last local elections of March 2, 2008 Services provided with a voter turnout of 53.2 % following official results:
Coat of arms
The coat of arms was approved on January 4, 1938 by decree of the Reich Governor in Bavaria.
Blazon: " Split; front in red half silver eagle at the split rear split of black and gold. "
The silver eagle on a red background since Abbot William of Lustenau (1460-1473) the landmark of the abbey Ottobeuren; the gold and black colors are taken from the former convent and coat of arms symbolize the same time the former imperial immediacy of the Benedictine monastery.
The market Ottobeuren is the only municipality in the district that received an entirely new municipal coat of arms after 120 years during the Third Reich. This in heraldry quite unusual procedure was due to the fact that, according to the will of the country judge the market Ottobeuren 1818, first a split escutcheon with the Bavarian lozenges and a half silver eagle should be given with reference to the former Reich pin Ottobeuren. However, this commemoration of the monastery rule was for the then rulers not contemporary and also a ban of 1818 to lead the double-headed eagle of the former empire, was opposed by the. Ottobeuren thus received by the Bavarian State Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the coat of arms granted that " in a silver shield on green basically a Gothic cathedral with two towers red-tile " shows.
The coat of arms was designed by Otto Hupp Schleißheimer heraldist.
The flag was approved March 29, 1988 by a decision of the Government of Swabia.
The flag is yellow - black striped with the municipal coat of arms placed.
By following municipalities Ottobeuren has a partnership:
- Norcia in Umbria, Italy
- Saint -Donat- sur -l'Herbasse in the Drôme, France
- Tenterfield in New South Wales, Australia
Culture and sights
Ottobeuren in its entirety is one of the main attractions along the eastern route of the Upper Swabian Baroque Route. Center of the village is the monastery Ottobeuren with the dominant late-baroque Basilica of St. Alexander and Theodore.
The Ottobeurer Basilica in winter
Located close to the hotel at the Bannwald a Lourdes grotto from the period around 1885, about a Mount of Olives with life-sized cast-iron figures. The Stations of the Cross are removed and wait for a realignment.
The Allgäu Public Observatory Ottobeuren one kilometer south of Ottobeuren is the largest public observatory means Swabia / Allgaeu and has a 60 - cm telescope of the latest design. There are regular public tours and special tours.
Economy and infrastructure
Ottobeuren is served by several state roads, county roads and highways to the higher local road network. The state highway and state highway St2011 St2013 intersect northeast of the market. Through the village run the MN18 and MN31 county roads. By bus the place to Memmingen, Gronenbach and Sontheim is connected, where their train station. The railway line from Ottobeuren Ungerhausen 1972 closed to regular passenger traffic in 1996 closed down altogether and transformed in 2009 into a cycle and walkway, called DB - Günztal bike path as it leads along the western Günz north.
Ottobeuren is the site of the county Unterallgaeu belonging Ottobeuren Regional Hospital. In the immediate vicinity of the district hospital was located until 2010, TCM Clinic, a hospital for traditional Chinese medicine.
There are five kindergartens, a youth center, the old people's homes and St. Joseph Hafner- Villa and a youth of the German Youth Hostel Association in Ottobeuren and its suburbs. In Böhen is the youth house forest mill, a sleeping house especially for church groups.
The location is industrial in character. In addition to working for woodworking machinery company Otto Martin Maschinenbau GmbH & Co. KG, which has its headquarters in Ottobeuren to other plants of larger companies are in place. Including works based in Memmingen Berger Holding and based in Benningen company Otto Christ AG.
Ottobeuren station is several tourist routes. It is one of the main places of the eastern route of the Upper Swabian Baroque Route, is a subsite of the Swabian Spa Route, at the Sebastian - Kneipp footpath, the Bavarian- Swabian James pilgrimage route and at the Mill Street Upper Swabia. For leisure purposes, because of the brand Allgäu Allgäu Ottobeuren used the slogan for the senses.
The town has primary schools in Ottobeuren and Hawangen, a middle school, a school center with junior high school and high school ( linguistic and scientific- technological branch, grades 5 to 10, and since September 2009, the upper secondary school ) under common management, a folk high school, a music school, a Catholic community library and a Protestant parish library.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Johann Hiebel (1681-1755), painter
- Karl Joseph Riepp (1710-1775), organ builder, born in Principal's
- Sebastian Kneipp (1827-1898), pioneer of hydrotherapy, born in Stephansried
- Johann Michael Raich (1832-1907), theologian and Domdekan in Mainz
- Theodor Breher OSB (1889-1950), Missionary Benedictines and Bishop of Yanji in China
- Karl Schlogel ( b. 1948 ), historian, born in Hawangen
- St. Ulrich of Augsburg ( 890-973 ), abbot 972-973
- Sel. Rupert I., († 1145 ), abbot from 1102 to 1145
- Rupert Ness (1670-1740), abbot from 1710 to 1740
- Anselm Erb (1688-1767), abbot from 1740 to 1767
- Franz Xaver Schnizer (1740-1785), monk and composer
- Johann Nepomuk Holzhey (1741-1809), German organ builder
- Father Ulrich Schiegg (1752-1810), mathematician, astronomer and surveyor; He succeeded in Ottobeuren the first balloon launch in German-speaking
- Martin Egg (1915-2007), local poet
- Arthur Miller Maximilian (1901-1992), writer