Benediktbeuren is a municipality in the Upper Bavarian district of Bad Tölz- Wolfratshausen in the foothills of the Alps at the foot of the 1801 meter high wall Benedict. The municipality is a member of the administrative community of the same name.
The monastery Buron / Benediktbeuren is very likely already 725/728 by Karl Martell was founded during two campaigns in Bavaria as a secular base, and as a guard and control station before Kesselberg to tactically favorable location. Charles Martel sat there the aristocratic Lantfrid Alemanni, a member of Huosi, as his vassals reliable one. To 739/740, the St. James and St. Benedict consecrated monastery was founded as a Benedictine abbey. Archbishop Boniface led Lantfrid as a Benedictine abbot and consecrated the first monastery church. Some years later, Charlemagne brought the relic of the right arm of St.. Benedict. Then the previously known as " Buron " monastery was renamed " Benedictoburanum ". After completion of construction of the monastery, the first monastery school has also been established. The in Kochel am See -founded in the 8th century convent moved to 800 in the monastery Benediktbeuren where it was located on the north side of the men's monastery until the 14th century. Hence the double Abtstab ( abbot and abbess ) stirred in the arms of the monastery Benediktbeuren. The first Corpus Christi procession in Bavaria took place in 1273 in this place. Benediktbeuren was before 1800, the seat of the Upper and the Lower Court of the monastery Benediktbeuren. 1803 it was resolved in the course of secularization. The territory of the municipality Benediktbeuren in 1818 as part of the administrative reforms in the Kingdom of Bavaria an independent municipality. The community was still called Laing Ruben and contributes only since November 30, 1865 the name of the monastery. The old village is located on both sides of the village street and the Mariabrunn path. The settlement here is most dense and carries decidedly rural character. 1930 acquired the Salesians of Don Bosco the monastery and renovated the building. About 50 religious live there. The monastery also houses a university ( after the closure of the philosophical theological college for the winter semester 13/14), the Youth Education Centre Action Centre, the Centre for Environment and Culture, the local youth club and the Don Bosco Youth with the most overnight stays in Germany per year. In Maierhof of the monastery the costume Information Centre and expert advice for home care of the District of Upper Bavaria are also accommodated.
- Council: After the last local election on 2 March 2008 the council has 16 members. The turnout was 60.6 %. The choice was as follows:
Another member and chairman of the municipal council is the mayor.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms description reads: In red two diagonally crossed gold Abtstäbe, launched a vertically positioned silver quill. The Abtstäbe are here symbolic of the once famous Benedictine monastery in the Bavarian Alps. The spring is a reminder of the once important illuminated manuscripts and writing school of the congregation.
→ List of monuments in Benediktbeuren
- Benediktbeuern: main interest is founded around 739/740 former Benedictine abbey. The current baroque form of the monastery dates from 1669 bis 1679th The library complex dates from the year 1722. During the Baroque hall of the monastery, including today also the venue of concerts to ceiling paintings are by Stephan Kessler. 1803, the monastery was secularized Benediktbeuren. Since 1930 Salesians of Don Bosco inhabit the monastery and entertained at the monastery area
- Philosophical- Theological College Benediktbeuren. In addition, the monastery is the
- Department Benediktbeuren the Catholic Foundation Fachhochschule München housed with the degree program Social Work. The latter has been consecutively awarded twice a German university ranking with top positions. In the monastic library 1803, the Carmina Burana, a collection of Vagantenliedern from the 13th century have been found. The manuscript, also called " Codex Buranus ", is now in the Bavarian State Library. A selection of Carmina Burana were set to music by Carl Orff, respectively in 1935-36 and 2004-05 of the medieval band Corvus Corax. The monastery can be visited.
- Monastery Church of St. Benedict: 1680-1685 built in the style of the Italian Baroque master Caspar Feichtmayr from Weilheim. Inside are frescoes by Hans Georg Asam, to see the father of Cosmas Damian Asam and Egid Quirin, who was employed at the monastery as a painter. The church received in 1972 the rank of a minor basilica.
- Rococo Chapel of St. Anastasia: built in 1750-1758 by Johann Michael Fischer, is located at the northern end of the choir of the monastery church of St. Benedict.
- Fraunhofer Glashütte (museum): Joseph Utzschneider taught in an outbuilding of the monastery after the secularization glassworks one. From this the optical workshops of the optical Utzschneider Institute, Fraunhofer and Reichenbach emerged. The workshops ran from 1809 to 1819 the world famous Joseph von Fraunhofer. He discovered the absorption lines in the solar spectrum ( Fraunhofer lines ) and produced optical instruments of world renown. The glassworks is now a museum.
- Museum of the Environment and Culture: The Museum of environment and culture, visitors learn interesting facts about the ecology of the region. It is located in Maierhof of the monastery.
- Benediktbeurer concerts every summer / September in the Church and in the baroque hall of the monastery Benediktbeuren instead.
- The Leonhardifahrt found in Benediktbeuren place every year on the Sunday, closest to the 6th of November, the day of St. Leonhard. About 50 carriages and nicely decorated, drawn by decorated horses as beautiful car with praying farmers in costume, children, Aldermen, mountain troops and bands from the surrounding villages leave from the village square to the monastery. In the arcade people and animals are blessed. In the Basilica, a church service will be held. Then the teams to leave the convent again. In the evening there is the Leonhardi dance at the Gasthof zur Post. Each year, ten to twenty thousand visitors Benediktbeurer Leonhardifahrt, which is characterized by its solemn character.
- The Don Bosco Youth in Benediktbeuern Monastery is one of the most popular hostels in Germany. The hostel specializes in the school hostel stays and final drives and offers a fun- eight-day educational program that is carried out in close collaboration with the Centre for Environment and Culture ( CCCR ). Every year there about 300 schools with nearly 10,000 students aged 12 to 17 years of age for eight days to visit.
Sons and daughters
- Cosmas Damian Asam (1686-1739), painter and architect of the late baroque
- Alois Dirnberger (1823-1897), German painter
- Hans Rudi Erdt (1883 - 1925) a commercial artist
- Eva Klinger Römhild (1945-2013), German ceramist and sculptor
- Hansel Krönauer (1932-2011), composer and singer
- Eva Wittenzellner (born 1971 ), actress
Persons with respect to the location
- Karl Meichelbeck (1669-1734), Benedictine priest, historian, author of the Chronicon Benedictoburanum
- Joseph von Fraunhofer (1787-1826), German optician and physicist, founded the scientific Fernrohrbau, he worked from 1807-1819 in Mathematics and Mechanical Institute of Reichenbach, Utzschneider and Liebherr in Benediktbeuren
- Jugendtreff Salesian Club
Benediktbeuren station is the Kochelseebahn, allows connections to the wide area network and to Munich and Tutzing Unterbichl. The Federal Highway 11 runs through the city, at Sindelsdorf the connection to the driveway is guaranteed in the federal motorway 95.
- Philosophical- Theological College sponsored by the Order of the Salesians of Don Bosco
- Catholic Foundation Fachhochschule München Benediktbeuren Dept. of Social Sciences
- Centre for Environment and Culture Benediktbeuren
- Action center of the Salesians of Don Bosco since 1969
Leisure and sports
- Alpenwarmbad: outdoor heated pool
- Sports facilities on Alpenwarmbad: football, tennis, curling, basketball
- In the winter season: trail
- Numerous biking and hiking trails in moor and mountain