9th U-boat Flotilla
The 9th Unterseebootsflottille shortly 9th U - Flotilla, was a military unit of the German Navy in World War II.
The flotilla was set up in October 1941 in Brest under the command of Lieutenant Commander Jürgen Oesten and was ready for use in April 1942. As first boot hit U 213 on March 20, 1942 in Brest, a. The flotilla consisted mostly of boats of the type VII She had her greatest successes in the North Atlantic, where numerous convoy ships were on their way to and from the UK, were sunk.
The symbol of the laughing swordfish brought Lieutenant Commander Heinrich Lehmann- Willenbrock in the flotilla, when he took command in May 1942. The badge ( known from the movie The Boat) previously graced the tower of U 96, which he commanded from September 1940 to March 1942.
Once there was a danger that the base in Brest could be taken by the American forces, belonging to the flotilla submarines August-September 1944, relocated to bases in Norway. The last boat left U 256, with Lieutenant Commander Lehmann- Willenbrock, on 4 September of the same year the French base and met in Bergen on 17 October a. This was the end of the 9th U- Flotilla. All remaining boats were then in the 11th U- Flotilla, which was stationed in Bergen, incorporated.
- October 1941 to February 1942 --- Lieutenant Jürgen Oesten
- May 1942 to September 1944 --- Lieutenant Commander Heinrich Lehmann- Willenbrock
Number of allocated boats: 84