Alexandroupolis (Greek Αλεξανδρούπολη ( f sg ), older even Alexandroupolis Αλεξανδρούπολις, Turkish Dedeağaç, Bulgarian Dedeagatsch Дедеагач, gr to 1920 Dedeagats Δεδέαγατς ) is a Greek port city and municipality ( dimos δήμος ) in Western Thrace and former seat of the Evros prefecture.
Alexandroupoli is located on the Thracian Sea, a marginal sea of the Aegean. It forms the southern boundary of the city. In the west borders the municipalities of Alexandroupoli Arriana and Maroneia - Sapes in the Regional District Rodopi, on the north by the municipality of Soufli and on the east by the Turkish province of Edirne.
The city was founded in 1871 under the name Dedeağaç as part of the Ottoman vilayet of Edirne. The name is made up of the Turkish words, Dede - an honorary title - and ağaç ( tree). The city was founded during the completion of the Dedeağaç branch of the Rumelia Railroad, which was used from 1872. Trading in the town prospered so that Dedeağaç already displaced in 1883 Dimetokas importance as a center of the Sanjak of Edirne Vilayet. 1894 was the Sanjak Dedeağaç from the Kazas ( counties ) Dedeağaç, Enos and Sofrulu. The Kaza Dedeağaç consisted of the three Nahies ( municipalities) Ferecik, Megri and Semadirek and 41 villages. 1870 began the construction of the line Edirne - Selanik - Istanbul ( Constantinople Opel ) Rumelian the railway, which initiated the development of the city.
In the First Balkan War the city was occupied by the end of 1912 Bulgaria and was henceforth important than Дедеагач / Dedeagatsch Aegean port of the country. At that time, living in Western Thrace 185,000 Turks, 25,500 Bulgarians, 22,000 Greeks and 2,200 people from other ethnic groups. Faced with the imminent connection to Bulgaria, resistance formed in the Muslim- Turkish population, which led to the Provisional Government of Western Thrace. Greece supported the establishment of such a republic with the aim to influence the same time in Constantinople Opel ongoing negotiations between the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria, that there will be no peace between the two countries.
In the Treaty of Neuilly of November 27, 1919 Bulgaria was forced to cede the city to the Entente. According to the census conducted by the French administrator in early 1920, the city had 7222 inhabitants, of whom 3900 Bulgarians, 2500 Greeks, 512 Armenians, 165 Jews, 195 Turks. In the Treaty of Sèvres of 10 August 1920, the city was awarded and in Greece Alexandroupolis - after King Alexander I - renamed. Then had to leave in accordance with the agreed in the Treaty of Neuilly -sur -Seine population exchange Bulgarians the city. Out of the total Greece Bulgarians were driven out by 1920 53.000, 46.000 Greeks were expelled from Bulgaria.
2011, the neighboring municipalities in 1997 created Traianoupoli and Feres were incorporated to Alexandroupoli.
Alexandroupoli is located on the historic Via Egnatia. Other connections there are:
- Highway 2 ( European Route 90) Istanbul - Thessaloniki - Ioannina
- National Road 2
Your beginning or ending of take in Alexandroupoli:
- National Highway 51 after Didymoticho, Soufli, Orestiada, Ormenio (continuation to Edirne and Svilengrad )
- National Highway 53 after Ormenio ( Bulgarian border )
The National Road 2 in its course east to Ardanio and the National Road 51 are as Europastraße reported 85, Highway 2 is a European route 90
The bus station of Alexandroupoli is located in a street parallel to the main road Liof. Dimokratias and is the starting point for several long-distance bus, among other things, to Thessaloniki (journey time approximately 4:15 ). In the urban area there is a high number of city bus routes.
Alexandroupoli is located on the railway line Thessaloniki - Pythion - Svilengrad. In Pythion a track branches off to Istanbul. For economic reasons, the cross-border rail traffic was discontinued in Turkey in 2011.
From the harbor there are ferry connections to Samothraki, Límnos and Rhodes. The connection to the neighboring island of Samothrace is traveled daily depending on the day, up to two times and the crossing takes about 2:15 h
The Alexandroupolis Airport is located just 7 km east of the city center.
Alexandroupolis is now one of the fastest emerging cities in Greece. One of the landmark is the lighthouse of the city, the Fáros (Greek Φάρος ) at the port.
The city will also be part of the strategic Burgas - Alexandroupolis oil pipeline. You will connect the city of Alexandroupolis with the Black Sea city of Burgas.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Hrisopigi Devetzi, track and field athlete in the triple jump
- Konstantinos Malamatina, considered in 1895 as founder of the famous Retsinamarke (white) Malamatina.
- Todor Dinow (1919-2004), Bulgarian painter who is considered the father of Bulgarian Animation
- Atanas Sirkarow (1919-1989), Bulgarian architect and historian
- Ioanna Filippidu ( born 1953 ), sculptor
- Bulgaria Burgas, Bulgaria