Beauvais is a city in northern France, about 90 kilometers north of Paris.
Beauvais is the capital of the department of Oise in the Picardie region. The number of inhabitants is 54 189 ( effective 1st January 2011), the agglomeration has some 100,000 inhabitants.
- 5.1 traffic
Beauvais lies at the foot of wooded hills on the left bank of the Thérain at the confluence with the Avelon.
Beauvais was wearing at the time of the Roman Empire the name Caesaromagus. The current name comes from the Gallic tribe of Beilovaci ( Bellovaken ), whose headquarters was to be found here. In the 9th century AD Beauvais Beauvais became the county, which fell in 1013 to the bishopric of Beauvais.
1346, during the Hundred Years' War, the city defended against the English, who were reduced in 1433 to break the walls again.
With the battle of 1472 against Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, the city was known by the heroic defense under the leadership of Jeanne Hachette. Meanwhile, still commemorated today on the last weekend in June with the Fête Jeanne Hachette. The ancient hills are now destroyed.
1930, the name was Beauvais around the world, as there on 5 October - then the world's largest - Zeppelin had R101 contact with the ground and caught fire, with 48 of the 54 passengers died.
Beauvais is the capital ( chef-lieu ) of three cantons. The Canton Beauvais- Nord-Est covers only a part of the urban area. For where cantons Beauvais- Nord-Ouest and Beauvais Sud -Ouest include not only the other parts of the city, the surrounding communities Fouquenies, Herchies, Pierrefitte -en- Beauvaisis and Savignies (each canton Beauvais- Nord-Ouest ) and Allonne, Goincourt, Saint -Martin- le- Nœud and Aux Marais (Canton Beauvais- Sud -Ouest ).
Culture and sights
Cathédrale Saint- Pierre
The Cathedral of St. Pierre, one of the most important buildings in the Gothic style, consisting of a transept and a choir with apse and seven Apsidenkapellen. The columns in the interior rise to a height of 30m, the choir is 48,50 meters, the highest Gothic in the world.
The small pre-Romanesque church from the 10th century, Basse Oeuvre known as, is one of two preserved Carolingian churches of France. The advent of Gothic was in 1225 the Bishop Milon cause a new cathedral. Construction began in 1247, but in 1284 plunged parts of the choir one. Only after half a century the chancel was rebuilt, the structure has been reinforced by additional piers. Subsequently, the work was stopped.
Until the 16th century, from 1500 to 1548, the transept was built. 1573 was the central - with about 150 m probably too big planned - tower collapses. A nave was never built. At this time, the Gothic was no longer fashionable, also there was no money available.
The south facade shows the rich ornamentation of Gothic architecture. The carved doors both in the North and in the South are masterpieces of Gothic and Renaissance. However, the greatest architectural treasure are the colored stained-glass windows from the 13th, 14th and 16th centuries, the most beautiful are from the Renaissance artist Engrand Le Prince, who was born in Beauvais. The discs in the church of St. Etienne, which is also located in the city, come from him and show the change in style between gothic and Renaissance.
The church has a remarkable astronomical clock (1865-1868) by Auguste -Lucien Vérité, who, before he worked as a watchmaker, had already become known as an expert of organ building. Furthermore Bildwirkereien can be admired from the 15th and 17th centuries.
Other places of interest
On the Place de l' Hôtel de Ville and the old streets near the cathedral numerous houses from the 12th are still preserved until the 16th century. The town hall ( hôtel de ville), where the statue of Jeanne Hachette is to find, was built in 1752.
The Bishop's Palace, now a court has been built in the 16th century, partly due to fortifications from the Gallo-Roman period.
Economy and infrastructure
While Beauvais was known for tapestries dating from the year 1664 because of a manufactory, is today an extensive trade in grain and wine.
Today, AGCO, one of the world's biggest agricultural corporations produced in Beauvais its tractors brands Massey Ferguson and Challenger.
The city is a bishopric. The Department of Administration and a court of first instance are located here.
Beauvais Beauvais- Tille has to, which is served by low cost airlines and charter airlines; from the French capital, there is a frequent bus shuttle service.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Jean Baptiste Louis Georges Seroux d' Agincourt (1730-1814), archaeologist and art historian
- Alfred Des Cloizeaux (1817-1897), mineralogist
- Henri Léon Lebesgue (1875-1941), mathematician
- Hubert de Givenchy (* 1927), fashion designer, couturier and designer
- Guy Grosso (1933-2001), actor, comedian and screenwriter
- Jean -Claude Decaux ( born 1937 ), entrepreneur
- Arnaud Coyot (1980-2013), cyclist
- Grégory Christ ( b. 1982 ), football player
- Arnaud Démare (* 1991), cyclist
- Anthony Mfa Mezui (* 1991), Gabonese football player
- Glass painter family Pinaigrier