Bishopric of Halberstadt
Territory of the Holy Roman Empire
The diocese of Halberstadt ( 804-1648 ) is a historic diocese gone under. It belonged to the ecclesiastical province of Mainz.
While the other Germanic tribes were already Christianised at the beginning of the 9th century, the Saxons worshiped still their old Germanic gods. After thirty years of campaigns was founded by Charlemagne in the year 804, a Diocese, first in Blessed City (now Osterwieck ). In a document dated 2 September 814 confirmed his successor, Louis the Pious, bishop of Chalons Hildegrim the episcopal rights for Halberstadt.
Hildegrim was also the first head of the church in Halberstadt. His new diocese filed in the north to the Aller and ear, in the east to the Elbe and Saale, in the west to the Oker, in the southwest up to the field of Unstrut, helmets and Wipper and in the south to Merseburg and Zeitz. But this missionary earned the region its economic and cultural development. Plans of Otto I to move the diocese of Magdeburg, initially failed; later Halberstadt lost the eastern part of his diocese to the archbishopric of Magdeburg.
From Henry III. received the bishopric of Halberstadt numerous Graf rights, which were used in the near vicinity to establish its own territory. From 1036 to 1059 Burchard was the former chancellor of Conrad II, Bishop of Halberstadt. He was followed by Burchard II, a nephew of the Archbishop of Cologne, Anno, who was a follower of Hildebrand, later Pope Gregory VII and the election of Alexander II advocated, which is why he got into serious conflict with Emperor Henry IV.
1479 Ernst von Magdeburg to administrator - a personal union, which only broke up in 1566 with the accession of Bishop Heinrich Julius. This was the first non - Catholic Bishop of Halberstadt.
1521 began the Reformation, in 1540 the citizens -bought by the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Magdeburg religious freedom. 1648 the bishopric of Halberstadt was secularized, united his territory as the Principality of Halberstadt with the Electorate of Brandenburg. The remaining Catholics were 1669 in the Apostolic Vicariate of the North.
2004 was the year in which the anniversary of "1200 years Bishopric of Halberstadt foundation " was solemnized with promotions, events, exhibitions, concerts and tours.
Expansion and organization
The diocese, in its spiritual supervision area located about 100 pins, monasteries and commanderies were, divided at the beginning of the 13th century in 13 Archidiakonate, but were then to 1400 grew to 37. These were mostly in the hands of canons, which were often represented by Archi presbyter himself. The Officials had a bureaucratic machine which enabled them to a lesser extent, exercise and secular jurisdiction in addition to the ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Official forecasting was supported in this by, in certain border areas of the diocese reigning special Officials.
In the small secular territory of the bishop a prince's civil service, which superseded the Lehnsbeamten developed in the 13th century. Since 1339 a existing from clergy and laity Episcopal Council is aware of its management lay with the Chancellor since the end of the 15th century. In addition to the Treasurer on the finances, joined in 1377 for the first time, a pin on captain, who was responsible for the episcopal military affairs.
As the spiritual area was divided into Archidiakonate, the secular area was divided into offices and advocacies.
The members of the mentioned only at the beginning of the 12th century cathedral chapter mostly came from the Lower Saxon noble families, which until the 15th century, the high nobility was the tone. The 22 Kanonikerstellen were awarded by choice, where the Pope is increasingly reserved the occupation itself. The dignitaries were provost, Domdekan and Cellerarius, the provost ever lost since the 15th century its influence in favor of the dean. Although the bishopric was secularized in 1648, the cathedral chapter could continue until 1810.