The city lies on the southern slope Osterwieck the Great Stein's case, in the district of Harz, in Saxony -Anhalt ( Germany ).
- 2.1 City Council
- 2.2 Coat of Arms 2.2.1 coat of arms of the district Osterwieck
- 2.3.1 Flag of the local part
- 3.1 Museums
- 3.2 memorials
- 3.3 churches
- 3.4 Structures
- 4.1 Education
- 4.2 Childcare
- 4.3 Economics
- 4.4 traffic
The place was first mentioned when Charlemagne 780 in his campaigns against the pagan Saxons, the Oker crossed and a church founded " in the place Saligenstede ". This first church was dedicated to St. Stephen, and became the seat of a mission center, was appointed its director Hildegrim. From this first church, probably a timber, nothing remains. When the mission center was moved from Seligenstadt to Halberstadt, is not known; than likely is the time to 804 974, Emperor Otto II the diocese "coin and customs in Blessed City". The deed dated April 1 974 became the basis for the 1000 - year celebration in 1974. Otto II gave the place, the market and Traffic Law ( mercatus ), he also became the oldest mint in the diocese of Halberstadt. Free of duty and the right to levy customs duties which were more significant privileges. The place was called Ostrewic, then as " commonly Asterwiek ". The new name meets us in writing for the first time in 1073 in a letter of the Archbishop of Bremen Liemar to the bishops Hezilo of Hildesheim and Burchard II of Halberstadt. It's about his feud with the bishop of Verden and Count Hermann von Lüneburg.
Supposedly the city in 1511 was almost completely burned down, but there is no documentary evidence for this. In the run since 1353 city directory of Easter Wieck town clerk has so quoted a great flood of 1495, but a devastating fire in 1511 is not reported. It can be assumed that, although there were some fires, but that the city is never completely burned down. However, many of the built in the subsequent period houses survived the subsequent fires, most recently in 1844, when around 30 houses were destroyed. The downtown core has been renovated in the 1970s, 100 houses were listed building, now the entire city is protected with a total of 400 half-timbered houses. Besides only ten kilometers away twinned Hornburg the almost 4000 inhabitants municipality is one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Germany. The city has an almost completely closed downtown ensemble of all of Lower Saxony half-timbered style of 500 years on: the Lower Saxon style offers interlacing and ship throats, at the time of the Renaissance in addition to Latin verse inextricable knot magic, runes and living trees were the fashion. That the common Saxon timber-framed tradition connects, shows the official recording of Osterwieck and Wernigerode in the German Framework Road, whose course included already so significant places such as Celle, Quedlinburg and Goslar.
In the 18th and 19th centuries played the glove industry in Osterwieck a major role. After the fall of most businesses closed their doors, only the paint colors factory is still in operation. Great hope is now connecting with tourism.
On January 1, 2010, the seven member municipalities of the administrative community Osterwieck Fallstein, the communities Aue- Fallstein, Berßel, Stage, Lüttgenrode, Rhodes, shows, Wülperode and the city Osterwieck merged to form the new city Osterwieck. The former municipalities - in Aue- Fallstein the villages of this municipality - were villages of Easter Wieck. The area of the city increased from 22.05 km ² to 212.67 km ² and its population of 3,735 to 12,348 (as of 31 December 2008).
For the year 1974, the population is reported to more than 5,000, and in 2010 there were 12,348 inhabitants according to incorporations.
The city council of the "old " city Osterwieck was with the beginning of 2010 to Ortschaftsrat " downgraded ". This, like all local councils only advisory. Since the merger, there is a new city council. He is the highest political body Easter Wieck. It is composed as follows:
- CDU: 5 seats
- SPD: 2 seats
- The Left: 2 seats
- Various associations of voters: 20 seats
The strong presence of the voter communities can be explained by the representation of the individual districts. Almost every village has competed for election with its own list in order to ensure a certain right. In addition, 13 of the 14 city council mayor are represented.
A special feature is the absence of fractions. Although initially the CDU wanted to make a coalition with the SPD Group, this project was not implemented due to protests from the population and the Council.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the new city Osterwieck was approved on 18 March 2011 by the county.
Blazon: " square of silver and red; occupied by a filled with rose slugs in confused tinctures, Field 2: seven ( 3:2:1:1 ) silver stars, box 3. seven ( 2:3:2 ) silver stars "
Coat of arms of the district Osterwieck
The coat of arms was approved on 2 May 1997 by the regional council of Magdeburg.
Blazon: " Divided by silver and red; assigned a fertilized filled rose in confused tinctures. "
Colors of the city are silver ( white) - Red
The ancient diocese of Halberstadt early received from the emperor the silver-red split shield. In the sign of the Prince-Bishopric of Halberstadt, of their Lord, the city continued Osterwieck the rose in confused tinctures. Already a city seal of the 14th century includes one five-petalled rose ( dog rose ) to the left and to the right of St. Stephen. Among others, in 1554 at the old town hall of coats of arms attached with the split in the Rose shield. Since 1820, the rose was used in the city seal.
The flag is red and white (1:1) striped ( longitudinal shape: strip running vertically ) and centrally occupied with the coat of arms of the municipality of the city unit Osterwieck.
Flag of the local part
The flag is red and white (1:1) streaked with the centrally placed coat of arms.
Partnerships with the City of Hornburg in Lower Saxony and the communities Ardouval, Les Grandes Ventes, Lisses and Saint- Hellier in France.
Culture and sights
- The local history museum at the market place is located in the oldest house Easter Wieck. It was first mentioned in 1265 and expanded in the 15th century. It has long served as a town hall. The collection contains sections on the history of the city Osterwieck, starting with prehistoric exhibits.
- Bismarck Tower
- Graves in the local cemetery for 16 known by name persons abducted during the Second World War to Germany and victims of forced labor were, as well as two unidentified Red Army soldiers and an unnamed famous German Jewish origin.
- Today's St. Stephen's Church is next to the Nikolai Church one of the oldest churches of Osterwieck. She had fallen into disrepair, but was reopened after extensive renovations. Her two 53 and 54 -meter-high towers date from the first half of the 12th century. The spiers were added in the 16th century; the towers were 1983 newly covered with slate. The west front of the church is of Romanesque origin, while the choir was still in the year before the Reformation, in 1516, rebuilt. In between lies the nave, whose predecessor become dilapidated by floods and age, was renewed from 1552 to 1557. It succeeded the builders, choir and altar in the Catholic character left, while the hall is decorated in the style of the Reformation. St. Stephani, making it the first reformatory Stadtkirchenbau. The Hornburg church is younger and for Wolfenbütteler main church, the nave of Osterwieck was even a model. In the arcade arches incorporated, one finds 240 reliefs from sandstone that testify to the immense self-confidence of families, artisans and guilds, which could be immortalized there. In addition to the flashy jewelry stones there are unusual characters and tines in the normal bricks. Such engravings mounted on stone masons to promote their work. It has existed since 1990, a Church Building Association, who conducted a comprehensive renovation of the church.
- The historic church of St. Nicholas is located on the Nicolaistraße, and is part of St. Stephani for Lutheran parish church in the county Osterwieck Halberstadt.
- The Catholic Church of St. Joseph was built in 1888 in the Romanesque Revival style. It is named after Joseph of Nazareth and located on the pond dam. Since 2010, the church belongs to the parish of St. Boniface, based in Wernigerode.
- Historic old town with buildings from the Gothic, Renaissance, Classicism and of Lower Saxony half-timbered style. However, numerous half-timbered houses are empty and are left to decay.
- The only remaining full courtyard within the city is the sheep farm, which dates back to 1527 according to an inscription bar. Meanwhile, one considers, however, that the neighboring house -stands could be to up some older and perhaps the oldest house in the city. In sheep farm is a pigeon tower of 1704.
- The district Zilly is characterized by a late medieval castle as well as several large farms.
- For the history of the local part of Hesse, the castle is of great importance. His heyday it under Heinrich Julius, since 1589 Duke of Brunswick -Lüneburg and Prince of Brunswick- Wolfenbüttel.
- In the district Berßel there is an old manor.
Half-timbered house in Osterwieck
St. Joseph 's Church
St. Nicholas Church
Economy and infrastructure
Easter Wieck has three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school:
- Primary school stage
- Elementary School " sun Klee" Osterwieck
- Primary school Hesse
- Thomas Mann Middle School ( in the district Dardesheim )
- Fallstein High School
Furthermore, the city Osterwieck has many childcare facilities
- Kita " Scamp " Wülperode
- Kita " Adventure Land " Deersheim
- Kita " Fallstein Dwarfs" Rhoden
- Kita " Hollerbusch " Hesse
- Kita " Ilse sparrows " stage
- Kita " Lütti 's Rascals " Lüttgenrode
- Kita " fairytale castle " Zilly
- Kita " Rohrspatzen " Rohrsheim
- Kita "sunshine" Berßel
- Kita " Zwergenklus " Dardesheim
- Kita "Kinderland at Langenkamp " Osterwieck
- AWO Kita Look
- AWO Kita " Children's House at the Ilse" Osterwieck
The focus of the economy, metalworking, mechanical engineering, chemical industry and renewable electricity generation.
The largest and best known companies include bearings and metal processing GmbH, ram - electrical machinery Bau GmbH, purity metals Osterwieck, Alstab Surface Technology GmbH, Lankwitzer paint factory GmbH, Goeschl Metal GmbH, organic poultry farm Deersheim, Borek communication as well as the wind farm Druiberg.
South of Osterwieck runs the main road 6n, which can be reached via the interchanges Abbenrode or Stapelburg. The villages in the municipality are, L88 and L89 developed by the L87. To the west is the highway junction Osterwieck / Vienenburg north on the A 395 in the immediate vicinity.
The municipality has a rail connection more. The railway water life - Börßum was once interrupted by the German division and served only east of the border. In the urban area Osterwieck ( resin ) were the stations Osterwieck Osterwieck West, Stötterlingen and Hoppenstedt. Passenger traffic on the section to Osterwieck West was shut down for 28 September 2002, the route is still preserved. Through the Harz transport companies are bus connections to Halberstadt, Wernigerode and Vienenburg.
- Gottlieb Bertrand ( † July 15, 1813 in Easter Wieck ), author, lived in the last years of his life in Osterwieck, where he worked as a watchmaker.
- Albert Karl Ernst Bormann (* 1819 in Osterwieck, † 1882 in Magdeburg ), Classical philologist, teacher and headmaster in Stralsund and Magdeburg
- Friedrich Wilhelm Andreas John (1835-1912), member of the Reichstag
- Wolfgang Rauls (* 1948 in Rohrsheim ), politicians ( NDPD, FDP ) and Mayor of Gommern
- Ulrich Karl Engel ( born 1950 ), Landtagsabgeordner
- Winfried Freudenberg (* 1956 in Easter Wieck ), last Wall victims