Churwalden (Romansh obsolete Germanism Curvalda ) is a municipality in the Churwaldnertal and the capital of the district of the same, the community belongs to the district Plessur in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. Since 1 January 2010, the municipality Churwalden consists of the merged municipalities Churwalden, Malix and Parpan.

  • 6.1 Education
  • 6.2 traffic
  • 6.3 Tourism


Churwalden located 8 km south of the regional capital, Chur on Passweg to Lenzerheide. The municipality covers two contrasting scenic sections of the north- trending south, from the Rabiosa, a left tributary of the Plessur, carrying Tales. The river, whose name means the Raging arises from several source streams in the region of approximately 1,200 m wide depression located between the Stätzerhornkette the west and the Rothorn range in the east. On the left side of the valley on the territory Stätzerhorn reached ( 2574 m, the highest point of the municipality ) and Fulhorn ( 2529 m) the ridge on the right, rising in several stages Hang it extends to the Täliflue ( 2301 m), the Gürgaletsch, the northern foothills of the Rothorn chain is upstream. Looking down the valley created the Rabiusa by erosion of the soft Graubunden slate layers close and large part pathless gorge. Here, the river separates the communities; Churwalden heard only the right side of the valley. The Rabiosa opens in Araschga Meier in the ground, with 630 m lowest point of the municipality, in the Plessur, the ( upstream to Steinbach Tobel ) forms the northern boundary Churwaldner to almost 2 km in length.

The village Churwalden in the valley, originally a scattered settlement, has been developed by the construction of the 20th century to a 2 km long village street. The municipality consists of the surrounding hamlets Stettli, Brugg, Prada Schier, Lax and egga, a number of individual farms and mountain pastures on the terraces of the right side of the valley, the Kurhaus Passugg near the Rabiusamündung well as the houses in the Meier ground.

Neighboring municipalities are Chur, Maladers, Lenzerheide - Praden, Vaz / Obervaz, Almens, Tomils and Domat / Ems.

Coat of arms

Blazon: In gold blue bar, topped with sechsstrahligem golden star. With the merger on 1 January 2010, the new total municipality received a new coat of arms. The symbols of the individual communities were integrated into a coat of arms.

The star already 1550 used in court seal also appears in the county coat of arms. Ten colors of the federal court.


Nucleus of the settlement was probably around 1150, donated by the barons of Vaz Premonstratensian monastery Chur Walden, a daughter house of the South German Rye Castle. Documented is the location at the northern end of the present village monastery in 1149 as S. Maria in silva Augeria, 1191 mentioned as Curwalde. During the Reformation in 1527 the goods of the monastery of the Convention were seized and lifted fact, even if there is an abbot to 1599 and then to 1803 officiated an administrator of the parent monastery. The former monastery church served as a parish church until 1967 the two denominations.

The secular rule, the center of which was the castle Strassberg 3 km north of Chur Walden, came from the Vazern to the Toggenburg and 1477 to the House of Habsburg. In the Three Leagues, the court Churwalden ( with Malix, Parpan and Lenzerheide, but without Praden ) belonged to the Ten Jurisdictions. 1649 was the ransom of Austria.

Apart from agriculture, the pass traffic played a significant role. The transports through the Lenzerheide, which forms a section of historic transit route from Chur to the Julier and Septimerpass, was responsible of the port bilge. From the mid 19th century, Churwalden developed a health resort, and since the 1960s the winter sports took in the wake of the neighboring places Lenzerheide and Valbella an upswing.


In Churwalden currently live 2083 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). This number can, however, vary greatly within a year. In the winter months, the population increases rapidly, as many seasonal workers arriving from all over Europe to work in the winter sports establishments and hotels.

Chur Walden is a traditional denominational equal representation village with a reformed Catholic mixed population. The monastery church was used until the new building of the Reformed Church in the sixties simultaneously from both denominations; since she is in a Catholic -owned, is also used as an abdication Church for residents of all denominations.


The Churwaldner parish council ( council ) has seven members (including the Mayor ). Ralf Kollegger 's mayor (as of 2010 ). Several times a year there is a community meeting.


The tax rate of the municipality Churwalden is from the tax year 2007 108 % of the simple control of Canton Graubünden. At the community meeting on 28 November 2006 this was reduced by 115%. With the merger of the municipalities Churwalden, Malix and Parpan merged to Churwalden the tax rate was reduced to 90 % of the basic cantonal tax Grisons.


The community of Churchill Walden offers a well-developed infrastructure. In the town there are several craft and service outlets, a power plant, construction companies, meat dehydrators as well as the mineral water company in Passugg. There are also hotel restaurants, dining restaurants, mountain restaurants with summer and winter, in Passugg an international hotel and tourism management school, a nursing home and two warehouses. There are also a doctor's office, a heated outdoor pool, banks, a tourist office and a teaching and demonstration power plant.

In the agricultural sector there are seven major dairy farms, two smaller dairy farms, two Mutterkuhhaltungsbetriebe, two rearing farms and two sheep farms.


On Churwaldner territory are the educational institution Fontana Passugg and the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality.


The community is (go on to part Bivio -St. Moritz or Davos ) connected by the hourly post bus routes on the Chur -Lenzerheide to the public transport network. Passugg is located on the Chur- Lenzerheide line. Meier ground where a civil defense training center is, is served by the Chur city bus.


Winter tourism is vital to the entire Lenzerheide ( Malix, Chur Walden, Parpan, Valbella Lenzerheide ) region.

The snow sports areas Alp Stätz and Prada skis are easy and quick to reach from Chur Walden. The toboggan run and the cable park are all year in operation. In the region there are also cross-country trails, a natural ice rink and prepared winter hiking trails.

Even in summer, there are numerous opportunities for leisure activities. Either you go on the longest toboggan run on rails (3.1 km) from Pradaschier to Churwalden, or you can go for climbing the rope park in Prada Schier. There is also a heated outdoor pool, three tennis courts and several biking and hiking opportunities.


The former Premonstratensian monastery church of St. Mary and Michael, today's Catholic church, built in the late 15th century, when the Romanesque predecessor was burnt down in 1472. The late Gothic church similar to the system of Chur Cathedral; Nave and chancel are separated by a rood screen. The altarpiece of 1477 comes from southern Germany.

A modern religious building is the Reformed village church of 1968.

The buildings of the district school Churwalden and the gym were designed by Swiss architect Peter Zumthor.


  • Friedrich Bruges ( born March 21, 1854 in Chur Walden; † January 29, 1930 in Chur), Swiss corps commander
  • Heini Hemmi ( born January 17, 1949 in Chur Walden ), former Swiss ski racer and Olympic champion