The district Gera was an administrative unit in the German Democratic Republic. It was established in 1952 after the dissolution of the country as one of a total of 14 districts. In 1990, the Gera district was disbanded as part of the re-establishment of the countries on the territory of the GDR.
The district was until its dissolution on 2 October 1990 from 2 urban and 11 rural districts and found its continuation in Thuringia, where the circles and communities received new key figures who kept valid until the local reorganization on 1 July 1994. It was not until July 1994 with the entry into force of the law on the restructuring of the counties and cities in Thuringia ( door NGG - Thüringer Reorganization Act) of 16 August 1993 received the circles ( with the subordinate municipalities) and cities new key numbers. The district Gera now formed the easternmost part of the country of Thuringia.
Government and party leaders
Chairman of the Council of the District
First Secretary of the SED district leadership
- Industrial centers: Chemistry ( Rudolstadt - Schwarza ), electrical engineering, electronics, fashion printing, machine tools ( Gera ), optics, precision mechanics (Jena), steelmaking ( Unterwellenborn ), ceramics ( Kahla ) uranium mining ( Ronneburg )
- Largest cities:
Coat of arms
By sealing order of the GDR from May 28, 1953 lost all its importance as a regional emblem mark or seal. However, the coat of arms of cities and counties were still used on buildings or in publications without meeting an official function. The coat of arms used in some books of the district Gera actually shows the coat of arms of the city of Gera. Officially was the seal coat of arms of the GDR. Only by the municipal constitution of the GDR of 17 May 1990 municipalities and counties were able for the first time explicitly lead coat of arms and use it as a seal.