The district of Potsdam was the largest surface area of 14 districts of the German Democratic Republic (GDR). It was established by an Act of the State of Brandenburg from 25 July 1952 as part of the dissolution of the countries in the GDR by the administrative reform of 1952 and comprised a large part of the western Brandenburg. The district conducted no crest, but occasionally the city's coat of Potsdam was used as a symbol for the district. With the re- establishment of the country by the reunification of Germany on 3 October 1990, the districts were dissolved, whereupon the district of Potsdam again rose in Brandenburg.
On the history and geography of the district Potsdam see Mark Brandenburg.
The district included the city of Potsdam circles Potsdam and Brandenburg an der Havel and the following counties: