The district of Schwerin was established in 1952 after the dissolution of the countries in the German Democratic Republic as one of a total of 14 districts. The district conducted no crest. Occasionally, the historical coat of arms of the city of Schwerin was used as a symbol for the district.
The district comprised the urban district of Schwerin and the following counties:
With the re- establishment of the countries on the territory of the GDR in 1990, the districts were dissolved. The district of Schwerin, was assigned to the state of Mecklenburg- Western Pomerania without the circle pearl mountain who came to Brandenburg.
Government and party leaders
Chairman of the Council of the District
First Secretary of the SED district leadership
- (1961): 618900
- (1964): 593477
- (1971): 598150
- (1981): 590135