Kostelec nad Orlicí

Kostelec nad Orlicí ( German: Adlerkosteletz ) is a city in Okres Rychnov nad Kněžnou in the Czech Republic. It is located seven kilometers south-west of Rychnov nad Kněžnou in the Valley of Wild Eagle at the confluence of Kněžná and Bela.


Kostelec nad Orlici part of the foothills of the Eagle Mountains. It is located on the main street of Hradec Králové by Žamberk and has a railway connection to the track Hradec Králové - Doudleby nad Orlicí. With its picturesque location it is a popular recreation and leisure destination.

Neighboring towns are Lupenice in the north, Rychnov nad Kněžnou and popluží in the northeast, Vamberk and Doudleby nad Orlicí in the east, Sucha Rybná and Kozodry in the south and Častolovice in the West.


Kostelec nad Orlicí was first mentioned in 1303 and belonged until 1746 to rule Pott stone. For 1358, it is as a market, is for 1568 as a city. Around this time it became an economic boom with the cloth manufacture. In 1574 the town hall was built. During the Reformation it became a major center of the Bohemian Brethren. This built 1580-1586 a church that served since 1620 as a Catholic church and St.. Wenzel was ordained.

Built in 1668, the then owner of the domain Pottenstein, Wenzel Zaruba of Hustířan, on the site of the east of the city center lying Fixed a castle, which was later called the " Old Castle ". 1746 Kostelec was released from the dominion Pottenstein and sold in 1796 by the Count de Harbuval Chamaré to Count Joseph Kinsky ( 1751-1798 ) from the Chotzener line of noble family Kinsky. Meanwhile, grandson of the same Josef (1806-1862) built on the western outskirts 1829-1835 a castle in the Empire style, the Kinsky family until 1945 served as the residence. After the expropriation, it was initially partially used for laboratories and later abandoned to decay. After the political changes it was restituted to the Kinsky family in 1997.

The population development of Kostelec grew steadily. At the time of the Thirty Years' War it was around 1000, in 1836 there were 2565, 1890 3793, 1900 5000 and 1937 approximately 5639 inhabitants.


  • Town Hall of 1574
  • Marian column and fountain on the market square
  • St. Wenceslas Church of 1580-1586
  • Cemetery chapel of St. Anne, 1686-1691 early Baroque style
  • Parish Church of St George, built 1769-1773 in the Baroque style
  • Several shrines from the 17th to 19th century
  • The " Old Palace " east of the city center was built in 1668 by Wenzel Zaruba of Hustířan and rebuilt after a fire in 1777 by the Count Kinsky.
  • The "New Castle " was built in the Empire style 1829-1835 according to the plans of the Viennese architect Heinrich Koch and surrounded by a vast English park with rare trees. It is currently not accessible. Conservation and reconstruction works are underway.

St. George's Church

New Castle


The municipality Kostelec nad Orlici include the districts

  • Kostelec nad Orlicí ( Adlerkosteletz )
  • Koryta
  • Kostelecká Lhota
  • Kozodry

Twin Cities

  • Myjava, Slovakia
  • Instinct, Germany
  • Vale Royal, Great Britain


Sons and daughters of the town

  • František Tůma Ignatius (1704-1774), composer, conductor of the Count Kinsky
  • Karel Feierabend (1861-1945), Czechoslovak university teachers, opponents of National Socialism and the oldest prisoner in the Dachau concentration camp.
  • Karel Ladislav Feierabend (1891-1969), politician
  • Richard Dolezal (1921-2005), German process and power plant technician

In the place lived and worked

  • František Albert (1856-1923), doctor, storyteller, journalist and translator
  • Josef Korbel (1909-1977), diplomat
  • Tomáš Pešina z Čechorodu (1629-1680), historian and writer