London County Council
The London County Council ( LCC) was created in 1889 to manage the County of London. He was also the first authority for the whole of London's metropolitan area, which has been directly elected. The LCC was responsible for those parts of London which are now generally referred to as Inner London and was replaced in 1965 by the Greater London Council (GLC ).
The establishment of the LCC was on 21 March 1889 as part of an administrative reform and was the result of a series of scandals in the predecessor authority Metropolitan Board of Works ( MBW ). The MBW consisted only of appointed representatives and was an overarching purpose of the Association otherwise completely autonomous communities. Decisions were felled in secret; members were often interested representatives of large construction companies, which created ideal conditions for corruption. The then Conservative government would have preferred it if there had been no central authority for the whole of London. But the coalition agreement with the Liberal Unionists gave her no other choice. Ten years later, 28 municipalities were created with the status of metropolitan boroughs as the lower level of the two-stage management; this replaced the numerous existing for centuries civil and church communities.
The LCC took over the duties of the MBW, but also received control over additional areas of responsibility such as education, urban planning and social housing. From 1899 the LCC gradually took over the private street railway companies and their electrified tracks. When the LCC Tramways were in turn taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933, they were the largest tram operation in the UK, with a route network of 269 kilometers in length and with over 1700 railcars.
Initially it was hoped that the elections of the LCC would not be determined by party politics, but there were two major political groupings out. The majority had since 1889 held the purely local Progressive Party, which was connected to the national level unofficially with the Liberal Party. To the Conservative Party politicians who described themselves as "moderate group " gathered. In 1906, the moderates took the name " Municipal Reform" of. The LCC was re- elected by the people every three years. The progressives held the majority until 1907, when they lost power to the reformer. These controlled the LCC until 1934 and was then replaced by the Labour Party.
At the beginning of the LCC used the building of the MBW in the Spring Gardens near the Trafalgar Square. 1906, the decision was taken to acquire three plots on the east side of Westminster Bridge to the entire management focus in a single building can. Designed by Ralph Knott County Hall was built in stages, from 1909 until 1933.
The County of London had no mayor in the true sense. But over time, took over the chair of the LCC more and more tasks and their office had de facto similarities to that of a mayor. The President of the Council was identical with the Chairman of the majority party:
- Thomas Farrer (March 21, 1889 - March 27, 1890 )
- James Stuart (27 March 1890 - March 9, 1892 )
- Charles Harrison (March 9, 1892 - March 10, 1898 )
- Thomas McKinnon Wood (March 10, 1898 - March 8, 1907 )
- Richard Robinson (March 8, 1907 - March 11, 1908 )
- William Peel (March 11, 1908 - March 8, 1910 )
- William Hayes Fisher (March 8, 1910 - December 19, 1911 )
- Cyril Jackson (December 19, 1911 - March 16, 1915 )
- Ronald Norman Collett (16 March 1915 - March 1, 1918 )
- George Hopwood Hume (March 1, 1918 - March 11, 1925 )
- William Ray (March 11, 1925 - March 9, 1934 )
- Herbert Stanley Morrison ( March 9, 1934 - May 27, 1940)
- Charles Latham (May 27, 1940 - July 29, 1947 )
- Isaac Hayward (July 29, 1947 - March 31, 1965 )