Petrila (Hungarian Petrilla ) is a small town in the district of Hunedoara in Transylvania, Romania.
Petrila lies on the River Jiul de Est ( Eastern German Shield ), between the mountains Sureanu in the north and in the south of Parang. The small town is located about four kilometers east of the European Route 79 and away from Petrosani on the county road (drum Judetean ) DJ 709K. The district capital Deva ( Deva ) is located approximately 90 kilometers northwest of Petrila away.
The region of Petrila has long been sparsely populated, mostly by pastoralists. End of the 15th century the village was first mentioned.
A significant upswing took Petrila after significant coal reserves discovered in the 18th century and were reduced from the mid-19th century in a big way. The mining industry is still the most important industry of the city.
On 15 November 2008, there was in one of the coal mines Petrilas to two explosions which claimed a total of 13 fatalities.
1850 were in Petrila, which was then still part of the Kingdom of Hungary, 2,075 residents registered, of which 2,016 Romanians and Gypsies 59. In 1920, the population had risen to about 10,600, of which 5,500 identified themselves as Romanians, 3,300 as Hungary and 800 as German. By 1992, a further population increase was recorded ( 29,000 ). Since then, the population has been declining slowly. As of the 2002 census lived in Petrila 25,840 people, of whom 23 668 Romanians, 1509 Hungarians, 153 Roma and 73 German.
Petrila has a rail connection for the passenger. The nearby Petrosani a narrow gauge railway with rare track width of 790 mm into the city that serves the freight transport ( especially coal ). After Petrosani run several times a day buses.
Petrila is a possible starting point for excursions into the surrounding mountains; noteworthy are the Taia and the Jiet Gorge. The city itself is industrial in character and has no significant tourist attractions on.