Piana is a commune with 468 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) on the west coast of Corsica. It belongs to the department of Corse- du- Sud, Ajaccio and the district of the canton of Les Deux- Sevi. Piana is classified as one of the plus beaux villages de France ( most beautiful villages in France ).
Piana is the Calanche on a plateau 438 meters above the Gulf of Porto 78 km north of Ajaccio, and is known for its spectacular steep-sided granite rocks.
In the 15th century, the territory of the present municipality under the rule of the Seigneurs de Leca. On March 29, 1489 came after a rebellion by Jean -Paul de Leca to a massacre of the inhabitants by the Genoese, the area was up for re- colonization in 1690 largely uninhabited. 1713 was the site of a separate parish. Between 1765 and 1795 the present church was built. During the Second World War stronghold of the Resistance. On the beach of Arone (9 km), the submarine Casabianca brings on February 6, 1943 men and arms from Algiers ( the seat of the French Liberation Committee, CFLN ) for the resistance in Corsica on land, they are in hiding (eg sheep- ) and later brought to FN - groups in the country distributed ( Piana, Ota, Marignana, Petreto- Bicchisano ). Birthplace of two resistance fighters: Archange Giovanelli and Jean Casanova Together with the Girolata Bay, the bay of Porto and the Natural Park of La scandola was Calanche 1983, declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
- Natural Park of La scandola
- Forest of Piana
- Church Sainte -Marie