Royal Tunbridge Wells

Tunbridge Wells, since 1909 officially Royal Tunbridge Wells, is a town in the far west of the county of Kent near the border of Sussex in South East England in the United Kingdom. Tunbridge Wells is also the administrative center of the Borough of Tunbridge Wells.

Tunbridge Wells is also a spa, which owes its existence to the discovery of iron-containing sources. It was expected that Tunbridge Wells, was a center of attraction of high society from the nearby capital of London by the discovery of an alleged healing source in the time when it was thought more and more of the medical efficacy of the healing springs.

The heyday as a spa town, the city experienced in the mid-18th century. In 1909 King Edward VII granted the town the title of " Royal". In the city live about 45,000 inhabitants and it is the center of Tunbridge Wells Borough. The entire Borough has about 100,000 inhabitants.

Since 1989, Tunbridge Wells sister city of Wiesbaden.


  • The Pantiles: In the thirties of the 17th century, the tree-lined promenade was created with the colonnades next to the source, which is now called The pantiles. The expression comes from the original paving of the area in 1700 with square clay tiles, the pantiles. Chalybeate Spring is called the iron-containing source that was discovered in 1606 by Dudley, Lord North, a noble man. The Bathhouse was built in 1804 directly behind the source of the wife of the mayor to the enjoyment of vapor and shower baths. Theatre / Corn Exchange ( Corn Exchange ) was built in 1802. Previously the border between Kent and Sussex was exactly between stage and auditorium. From 1843 used the building as a corn exchange. The still image of the harvest goddess Ceres over the main entrance recalls. In the former guest house Royal Victoria Queen Victoria is often relegated.
  • Mount Sion Village: Formerly the name of an entire village, like many others today only district and street name. The village got its name at the time of the Puritans. Mount Sion housed the spa guests who came to Tunbridge Wells, but here was also attended by the local dealer. Frog Lane: A small, quaint street with boulders paving, formerly common.
  • Mount Pleasant: Here was built under the name of Calverley Estate in the 19th century, a model settlement to accommodate aristocratic families. Calverley Park: The complex consists of 19, arranged in a semicircle villas. As a shopping center for the residents of villas you had Calverley Park Crescent thought a semi-circular terrace with a covered promenade. The present Hotel du Vin, where Queen Victoria as a child often lived through the conversion of the former Mount Pleasant - house - the Calverley Hotel was built.

The first houses of the source area were built in what is now the London Road meets the Mount Ephraim. The House 85 London Road is one of the oldest surviving houses in the city, built about 1660. Here the poet Thackeray lived in 1860. Around 1735 the inn Hare and Hounds ( rabbit and dog ) was built, now called Royal Wells Inn.

When visiting churches may be mentioned: King Charles the Martyr, built with donations visitors in 1678, named after Charles I.; Holy Trinity to the on her birthday in 1827 the foundation stone was laid, the Duchess of Kent.


Tunbridge Wells is located in a hilly landscape in which there are several villages whose houses are either holzverschalt or clad with clapboard similar pushed over one another flat tiles.

To the north of Tunbridge Wells, the valley of the River Medway, with its tributaries. Here you will find large orchards and hop fields. Along the dirt roads are in spring " flower streets " marked to visitors, depending on the marker color to produce the desired fruit. Furthermore, the high hops towers are to be mentioned with their conical roofs, which used to dry the hops were used, but are now often converted into bizarre homes. Many of the villages were once important ironworks which supplied will include the British navy with guns.

To the east and west of Tunbridge Wells High Weald is ( Hochwald ), traversed by rivers and streams. Originally impenetrable forest was cleared in time for the settlement of farms and villages partially. When Edward III. Flemish cloth makers ordered to England in the 14th century to break the continental monopoly enjoyed here medieval textile mills flourished. One of the main places was Cranbrook with the mighty Union Windmill, about 20 km east of Tunbridge Wells.

Historic buildings in the surrounding area

  • Bodiam Castle, Bodiam: A well-preserved castle ruins from the 14th century;
  • Bateman's, Burwash. House of ironworks owner from the 17th century; was for 30 years home of the poet / writer Rudyard Kipling ( The Jungle Book ).
  • Chartwell in Westerham: Former residence of the English. Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.
  • Hever Castle, Hever Master's House, the residence of Anne Boleyn before she became the second wife of Henry VIII.
  • Knole House, Sevenoaks: One of the biggest mansions England since Elizabeth I in the family of Sackville, (see Vita Sackville-West ), furniture collection, ceremonial halls and art gallery.
  • Penshurst Place, Tonbridge: One of the best preserved " Stately Homes" in England from the 14th century.
  • Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst: A " Country House " from the 19th century with a picturesque view of the castle ruins from the 14th century.
  • Chiddingstone Castle, Chiddingstone: A " mansion " of the 16th century collection of Japanese armor and Egyptian and Buddhist artifacts - large Japanese garden.

Sons and daughters of the town