San Salvador Island
Template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / image missing template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / height missing
San Salvador is an island and a district at the northeast edge of the Bahamas. The island has an area of 94.9 km ² a 11.2 km long east-west and 19.25 km long north - south extent. It is with the exception of the area around Cockburn Town surrounded to the west by several coral reefs, so for ships, there is a access only here.
In 1680 the English pirate John Watling (or George Watling ) named the island after himself, and the name Watling Iceland existed until 1925. Starting this year, the Government of the Bahamas assumes that it is Guanahani in this island where Christopher Columbus first saw the New World, so they renamed it San Salvador (Spanish for "Holy Savior " ) - the label that gave Columbus the island. This name was previously known today under the Cat Iceland island. The renaming of Watling Iceland helped to bring the lying on the ground since the abolition of slavery in 1834, the island's economy through tourism back on track.
Today, living in San Salvador around 1,000 people, of whom the vast majority in Cockburn Town, the seat of local government.
- Watlings Castle - ruins of a plantation, possibly the pirate Watling was
- Dixon Hill Lighthouse - 1887 built lighthouse Petroleum
- Farquharson Plantation - the largest and best preserved plantation ruins from the period of slavery