• ÖVP: 12
  • SPÖ: 7

Sieggraben (Hungarian: Szikra, Croatian: Sigrob ) is a municipality in the district of Matter castle in Burgenland in Austria.

  • 7.1 freeman
  • 7.2 people with links with the community


The center of Sieggraben lies south of the victory Grabener saddle in a valley- lowering, other districts are mostly located on hilly terrain scattered. The victory Grabener hills are offshoots of the Hunchback world. The victory Grabener saddle is a prominent geographical point and is formed by the collision of Rosaliengebirge with the Sopron Mountains. The place is located at the narrowest, just four kilometers wide point of Burgenland. Through the village flows the victory grave Bach, who in Weppersdorf joins the Schwarzenbach and called from there usually Stoober Bach. The Burns bar is 606 m above sea level. A. the highest elevation of the Sopron Mountains. A striking, highly visible elevation is the victory Grabener Kogel.

Neighbours: The municipality borders on Mattersburg, Marz and Rohrbach bei Mattersburg in the north, on the east by a narrow point to the Hungarian and Sopron paint creek in the district Oberpullendorf. To the south lie Weppersdorf and Kobersdorf, to the west is the Lower Austrian Schwarzenbach.

The municipal boundaries to most neighboring towns, however, extend only somewhere in the forest, so you only March can reach directly via the B 50 and Matter castle on the S 31 in the north, belonging to Weppersdorf limestone mines in the south and Schwarzenbach of Sieggraben from. From the line to Schwarzenbach turn a narrow road to the Oberpetersdorf, which belongs to the municipality Kobersdorf.


From a settlement in the Bronze Age generates a burial ground in the victory Grabener forest path, which was first mentioned in 1893 by the Hungarian secondary school teacher and local historian Lajos Bella from Sopron and finally examined in the summer of 1980. In Celtic times, the area was part of the Kingdom of Noricum and belonged to the area of the Celtic hillfort castle on the Schwarzenbacher Castle Hill. In the Roman Empire the area was part of the province of Pannonia.

The village was mentioned in documents in 1302 for the first time as " Sykrems ". It is believed that the place its name from the creek that flows through the village received. In the boundary description of Weppersdorf this Bach is mentioned as " Sykrin Potok " (also " Sikrynpotok " and " Scikryn Potok "). The earliest documentary evidence of this stream back to the year 1222. Subsequently found for the place name spellings " Siggraben " ( 1641), " Sigroben " ( 1651), " Szigraben " (1675 ), " Sigraben " ( 1682) "Victory Raven " (1713 ) and " Siggraben " (1713 ). The later form of the name Magyar was until 1921 Szikra.

Sieggraben belonged to the Counts of Mattersdorf - Forchtenstein, later to rule Forchtenstein, to rule Kobersdorf and finally fell in 1622 in the possession of Esterházy princes. Until about 1675 it was inhabited mainly woodcutters, charcoal burners and small farmers. In the 17th century the population was religiously mixed victory trench (Catholic and Protestant), before she became a Catholic in 1660. In 1736 Sieggraben was elevated to an independent parish. As part of the reorganization of the manors of the Princes of Esterházy in 1738 the place came to power Kobersdorf. A fire in 1775 30 houses were destroyed. 1848 was the division of the Hungarian counties in theater districts, and the venue Ödenburg was assigned. By a further modification of the districts 1870/71 the District Mattersburg, since then a member of the Sieggraben arose.

1921 was the place - like the entire present-day Burgenland - by the Treaties of St. Germain and Trianon in 1919 to Austria.




Mayor Vincent is Jobst of the ÖVP. The distribution of seats (19 seats) in the municipal council is ÖVP and SPÖ 12 7 mandates.

Coat of arms

Blazon: In silver shields on a green with a silver paddle Dreienberg occupied three green firs growing, the middle of five Asthöhen ( four whorl and tops ), the two lateral (smaller) with four Asthöhen ( three whorl and tops ). The coat of arms was granted on 14 September 1983.

Culture and sights

  • Parish Church: Built in 1797, the late Baroque - Josephinian hall building with polygonal presbytery and the roadside tower facade. Interior design: a late Baroque hall with hanging space dome over a square ground plan. Extension 1979/80 built with abstract bright colored stained glass by Hannelore Knittler - Gsellmann
  • Elementary School: Built 1926-1929 by the architect Franz Kaym and Alfons Hetmanek ( both were student of Otto Wagner). The victory Grabener elementary school was at the time of its establishment as one of the finest school building in Burgenland. Upstairs there are still original fittings can from the construction period: Ceiling Painting ( Starry sky with constellations ) and wing door with painted wooden panels ( four elements with four seasons ) to design the outdoor academics Werkstätte Vienna.
  • Holy Trinity Column: Built in 1897 at the fork main road / rail
  • Dorfbrunnen: 1998 erected, 2.40 meters high, of Frederick Rosner artistically designed Ceramic fountain
  • Mobile and radio stations Burns Bars: the transmitter is located on the highest point of the Sopron Mountains, the Burns bolt


  • Natural areas in Sieggraben: forest-covered mountain peaks, Sopron Mountains, Rosalie mountains, rich flora and fauna, many destinations, since 1999 a nature trail with 10 stations
  • Nature Park Rosalia Kogelberg: 7770 acres, officially founded in 2006 by the state government as a nature park, Sieggraben is one of the 13 natural park communities



Honorary citizen of the community include:

  • Engelbert Dollfuss (1892-1934), Austrian politician, founder of the Austro-fascist corporate state
  • Otto von Habsburg (1912-2011), 1916-1918 Crown Prince of Austria - Hungary, journalist, former Member of the European Parliament for the CSU, journalist and writer; 1922-2006 head of the House of Habsburg -Lorraine

People with links with the community

  • The first detectable ancestors of Ignaz Semmelweis, namely Jörg Semmelweis and his wife Gwendolyn, lived in the second half of the 17th century in Sieggraben.
  • The Austrian Federal President Thomas Klestil, the community was connected in a special way, was put into Sieggraben September 6, 2009 at the Dr. Thomas Klestil Square with a bronze bust of a monument.