Uglegorsk, Sakhalin Oblast
Uglegorsk (Russian Углегорск ) is a town in Sakhalin Oblast (Russia) with 10,381 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city is located on the west coast of Sakhalin Island, about 350 km northwest of the Oblasthauptstadt Yuzhno -Sakhalinsk, the Tatar Strait between the Japanese and the Sea of Okhotsk, on the edge of the swampy lowlands of the river Uglegorka near its mouth.
The city is the Uglegorsk Oblast administratively subordinated directly and as the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
Uglegorsk has a small seaport.
Uglegorsk emerged after 1905, while the membership of the southern part of Sakhalin Island (up to the 50th parallel ) to Japan, under the name Esutoru (Japanese恵 须 取 町, -chō ). As a result of the Second World War, the city came in 1945 with the Soviet Union and was awarded in 1946 under the present name - from Russian ugol Coal - town law.
Note: Census data
In Uglegorsk there are enterprises of the timber, paper and construction industries as well as food industry. The place is the center of an agricultural region (potato and vegetable cultivation). In the area of coal is promoted, which gave its name to the city.