Valkeakoski [ vɑlkɛakɔski ] is a city in Finland. It lies between Tampere and Hämeenlinna in the landscape Pirkanmaa. Helsinki is 145 km away, Tampere 35 km. The city is located on an isthmus: the north and south of the Mallasvesi Vanajavesi borders. Valkeakoski is a boat harbor, the silver line.
The town was founded as a mill town along a water mill, in which the farmers of the surrounding area could grind their corn. Since 1869, the adjacent lakes are connected by a navigable canal. 1871 was the first pulp and paper mill, in the following years further industrial plants which could grow the city.
Development of the population (as of December 31 in each case ):
- Sweden Gotland, Sweden
- Hungary Hajduszoboszlo, Hungary
- Norway Kragerø, Norway, since 1954
- Russia Sokol, Russia, since 1971
- Germany Vechelde, Germany, since 1976
- Poland Jelenia Góra, Poland, since 1979
- People's Republic of China Nanchang, People's Republic of China, since 1997
- Finland Mariehamn, Finland, since 1999
The native to Valkeakoski FC Haka with nine league titles and twelve cup victories one of the most successful football clubs in Finland.