Chongming (Chinese崇明 县/崇明 县, Pinyin Chongming Xiàn ) is a district within the government immediacy city of Shanghai. It is composed of Chongming Island and the south their offshore islands Changxing and Hengsha same name and is considered as the last relatively untouched area of the city of Shanghai.
The county has an area of 1,411 km ² and 701,000 inhabitants whose main residence ( end of 2005). On the island of Chongming accounts for 632,000 inhabitants thereof. There are also around 83,000 inhabitants who reside only temporarily here. The population density is 555.63 inhabitants / km ².
At the community level, the circle Chongming is composed of 16 large municipalities and two municipalities. These are:
- Greater community Chengqiao (城 桥镇), capital of the island and seat of the county government;
- Greater community Buzhen (堡镇 镇);
- Greater community Changxing (长兴 镇), 88 km ², 36,000 inhabitants, the greater community occupies the entire island Changxing, which Chongming south west of the islands;
- Greater community Chenjia (陈家 镇);
- Greater community Dongping (东 平镇);
- Greater community Gangxi (港 西 镇);
- Greater community Gangyan (港 沿 镇);
- Greater community Jianshe (建设 镇);
- Greater community Lühua (绿 华 镇);
- Greater community Miao (庙镇);
- Greater community SANXING (三星 镇);
- Greater community Shuxin (竖 新 镇);
- Greater community Xianghua (向 化 镇);
- Greater community Xinhai (新海 镇);
- Great Xinhe (新河镇);
- Greater community Zhongxing (中 兴镇);
- Community Hengsha (横沙 乡), 56 km ², 33,000 inhabitants, the municipality occupies the entire island of Hengsha, which Chongming east of the southern islands;
- Community Xincun (新 村乡).
Ethnic structure of the population Chongmings
At the census in 2000 were 649 812 inhabitants counted (Population density: 624 people per square kilometer ).
See also: List of administrative divisions of Shanghai