Louth [ laʊð ] ( Irish: County Louth ) is a county ( county ) in the Republic of Ireland. The name of the County refers to the small village of Louth and the Celtic god Lugh ( Irish: Lughbhadh ).
The county includes the Carlingford Peninsula, which lies between the Carlingford and Dundalk Bay, as well as the glacial coastal plain south-west of it. The highest elevation is the Carlingford Mountain with 587 meters. With 832 square kilometers Louth is the smallest area of the historic Irish counties.
The economy is concentrated in the port cities of Dundalk and Drogheda. The land is used mainly for the cultivation of barley, wheat, oats and potatoes.
Louth sends four deputies to the Irish Parliament ( Dáil Éireann ). The last election was held in February 2011.
The distribution of seats in the County Council after the local elections of June 5, 2009:
Cities and towns
- Dundalk - Capital
- Aghnaskeagh Cairn and portal tomb and stone boxes
- Ardee Castle
- Barnavedogge Menhir
- Carlingford Castle
- Castle Roche Castle
- Clochafarmore Menhir
- Dromiskin Round Tower and Celtic Cross
- Donaghmore Souterrain
- Dun Dealgan ( castle of the type of a moth ) in Dundalk
- Labanstown Menhir
- Mellifont Abbey
- Paddock (or Callaigh Birr 's House ) Wedge tomb
- Proleek Dolmen (also called " The Giant's Load" ) and passage tomb (including Giant's Graves)
- Rathiddy, with the Cloch to Fhir Mhoir ( " stone of the great man "), see Aided Chon Culainn ( "Death Cú Chulainn " )
- Roodstown Castle
- St. Mochta 's House ( Oratory )
- Termonfeckin Castle and Celtic Cross
- Tinure ( Felsritzung )
- Urney Bullaun
Carlow | Cavan | Clare | Cork | Cork city ** | Donegal | Dublin * ( ** Fingal | Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown ** | ** South Dublin | Dublin **) | Galway | Galway City ** | Kerry | Kildare | Kilkenny | Laois | Leitrim | Limerick | Limerick City ** | Longford | Louth | Mayo | Meath | Monaghan | Offaly | Roscommon | Sligo | Tipperary * (North Tipperary ** | ** South Tipperary ) | Waterford | Waterford City ** | Westmeath | Wexford | Wicklow * Historic county, ** newly created county
53.916666666667 - 6.4166666666667Koordinaten: 53 ° 55 ' N, 6 ° 25' W
- County Louth
- County in Ireland
- County in Leinster