Meath ( pronunciation [mi ː θ ], irish County Meath [ vi ː ən ] ) is a county ( county ) in the Republic of Ireland. The Irish name means " middle ".
The county is located in the Central Irish level and consists almost exclusively of pasture land.
From the early history of well-preserved megalithic sites of Boynekultur can be found here. The foundation of the ancient royal seat Tara goes back to the prehistoric era. In early medieval Meath was one of the Irish kingdoms and covered the area of present-day Meath and Westmeath and parts of Cavan and Longford. The mythical king Tuathal Techtmar to have founded the fifth province of Mide from parts of four other provinces and he was the first to einhob the tribute Bóruma of Leinster. Between 100 and 565 Meath was associated with Connacht. 1172 County of King Henry II of England was given as a fief to Hugh de Lacy.
In agriculture prevail cattle and sheep. There are also clothing and furniture industry.
Meath sent six representatives to the Irish parliament ( Dáil Éireann ); The last election took place in 2011.
The distribution of seats in the County Council after the local elections of June 5, 2009:
- Brú na Bóinne ( " Boyne Palace " ): three megalithic cairns ( Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth )
- Hill of Tara: remains of a hill Grabs and ring forts - Tara was according to legend, the seat of the High Kings of Ireland.
- Loughcrew or Sliabh na Caillighe: megalithic cemetery
- Four Knocks passage tomb
- Athcarne Castle
- Trim Castle
- Wallis Bird, Musician
- Pierce Brosnan, actor, grew up in Navan.
- John Bruton, former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) and is currently Ambassador of the European Union in the United States
- Siobhan Fahey, singer ( Bananarama, Shakespear's Sister), was born in Dunshaughlin.
- Shane Horgan, rugby union international, was born in Bellewstown.