Giovanni Battista Re
Giovanni Battista Re received in 1957 the sacrament of Holy Orders. He completed his doctoral studies at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, at the end he was awarded a doctorate in canon law specialist. Subsequently, he worked from 1960 to 1961 as a teacher at the seminary of Brescia. From 1962 to 1963 he studied at the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, and then entered the diplomatic service of the Vatican. On July 1, 1964 he was awarded by Pope Paul VI. the honorary title Surplus secret chamberlain of His Holiness.
He worked in Panama and Iran, before he was recalled for the role of a personal secretary at the Cardinal Secretary of State to Rome. 1979 Re was assessor in the Vatican Secretariat of State; also him Pope John Paul II the title of Honorary Prelate of His Holiness gave on 18 January of the same year.
On 9 October 1987 he was named titular Archbishop of John Paul II Forum Novum, and Secretary of the Congregation for Bishops. He received his episcopal consecration John Paul II on November 7 of the same year in St. Peter's Basilica; Co-consecrators were Archbishop Eduardo Martínez Somalo Curia and Archbishop Bruno Foresti. On December 12, 1989 Re was appointed ex officio proceedings of the State Secretariat.
On September 16, 2000 was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and President of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America and included as a cardinal priest with the titular church of Santi Apostoli XII in the College of Cardinals on 21 February 2001 Giovanni Battista Re of John Paul II. On 1 October 2002, he was elevated to Cardinal Bishop of Sabina -Poggio Mirteto.
Battista Re was up to the election of Benedict XVI. to the public as papabile. Benedict XVI. confirmed after his election in 2005, Re in all its offices. June 30, 2010 Benedict XVI accepted. one at Re reasons of age pre- mounted resignation.
Following the resignation of Benedict XVI. Cardinal Re was on March 4, 2013 drawn as assistant to the Cardinal Camerlengos (representing the cardinal bishops ). He was a member of three days of the Particular Congregation, which regulated child needs during the period of vacancy. As the highest-ranking Cardinal elector Bishop Giovanni Battista Re initiated the conclave of 2013. Already before the conclave was Re as a close friend of the future Pope Francis, Jorge Mario Cardinal Bergoglio.
- 1981 Grand Officer of the Portuguese Order of Christ
- 1985 Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- 1990: Grand Cross of the Portuguese Order of Christ
- 1992: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- 1995: Ix - Xirka Ġieħ ir Repubblika
- 1997: Grand Cross of the Order de Isabel la Católica
- 1999: Grand Gold Medal with Ribbon for Services to the Republic of Austria
- 1999: Commander with Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
- 2004: Grand Officer of the Star of Romania
- 2010: Commander with Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
- 2012: Order of Constantine