Education and work
Helmuth Lohner finished an apprenticeship as an engraver and then took private acting lessons. His theater debut was in 1952 at the Stadttheater Baden. He also acted as operetta Buffo at Klagenfurt Stadttheater. From 1953 to 1963 he was engaged at the Theater in der Josefstadt. This was followed by engagements in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Dusseldorf and Zurich. In between, he came again and again at the Burgtheater, and the Salzburg Festival. There he was seen in varying roles as death, as the devil and as everyone in Hofmannsthal's Everyman. Made his film debut in 1955 in the film Lohner Hotel Adlon by Josef von Báky. From 1963 he was repeated in television operates. His most important role was probably the TV. Carl Joseph Trotta in the Radetzky March - screen adaptation of Michael Kehl man in 1965
In the movies My grandpa is the best and My Grandpa and the 13 chairs ( with Otto Schenk and Tobias Moretti ), he led in the 1990s for the first time on television directing.
Lohner made in the early phase of his career and a name as a singer of popular ballads and couplets, about Frank Wedekind ( eg I slaughtered my aunt, Ilse, and others).
Helmut Lohner is a descendant of Henry Lohner, the founder of the Vienna Lohner -Werke.
Lohner married twice, the German actress Susanne Cramer, from whose marriage the daughter of Constance comes Lohner, who works as a teacher. Later he was married to German actress Karin Baal, with whom he had the daughter of Therese Lohner, who works as an actress in Vienna. After that, he was married until 1994, with the Austrian journalist Ricarda Reinisch Zielinski. Currently Lohner is married to the Austrian Elisabeth Gürtler - Mauthner, who runs the Hotel Sacher in Vienna.
A close friend and frequent artistic collaboration combines Lohner with the Austrian actor and director Otto Schenk. Helmuth Lohner was and is always committed to social issues. As an example, Brecht evenings like 1970 in Aschaffenburg Terre des hommes - serve week that he played without a salary.
Lohner grew up in the 16th district of Vienna Ottakring and also came in the ORF Documentation My Ottakring (2012 ) to speak.
The artist has received numerous awards, including:
- Offenbach's La belle Hélène (1994 ), Zurich Opera ( conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt, stage design Paolo Piva, costumes Jean -Charles de Castelbajac )
- Lehar's The Merry Widow (1997)
- Johann Strauss A Night in Venice (1999), Mörbisch
- The Gypsy Princess (2002)
- Lehar's The Count of Luxembourg (2008)
- Boccaccio, Vienna Volksoper (2002)
- Johann Strauss Die Fledermaus (2012), Mörbisch
- The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Vienna Volksoper in 2005 (conductor Leopold Hager )
- L' elisir d' amore by Gaetano Donizetti, Oper der Stadt Köln 2004 ( Conductor Enrico Dovico )
Important theater roles
- Junker, Andreas von Bleichenwang in Twelfth Night Salzburg Festival 1972 ( Director Otto Schenk)
- Hofreiter in the vast land of Arthur Schnitzler, Burgtheater in 1978 (directed by Otto Schenk)
- Stephan von Sala in The Lonely Way by Arthur Schnitzler, Salzburg Festival 1987 ( directed by Thomas Langhoff )
- Title role in the premiere of An Everyman Theater in der Josefstadt, 1991
- Title role in Everyman at the Salzburg Festival, 1990-1994
- Al Lewis in The Sunshine Boys, chamber performances by the Theater in der Josefstadt ( with Otto Schenk)
- Count Almaviva in Figaro gets divorced from Odon von Horvath (directed by Luc Bondy at the Theater in der Josefstadt, 1999)
- Leading roles in many Nestroy pieces ( among others The Talisman, Kampl, Torn Apart, My Friend, The bad boys at school)
- Henrik in the German premiere of The Embers by Sandor Marai, ( stage adaptation by Christopher Hampton), Schauspielhaus Graz, Director: Ingo Berk, 2009
- Title role in John Gabriel Borkman at the Theater in der Josefstadt and the Schauspielhaus Graz, Director: Elmar Goerden, 2012
- Title role in Quartet ( Heiner Müller) at the Theater in der Josefstadt, Director: Hans New Rock, 2014
- Helmut Lohner sings Wedekind: I got my aunt slaughtered