Izhevsk (Russian Ижевск pronunciation? / I, Udmurt Иж / Iz or Ижкар / Ižkar ) is the capital of the Republic of Udmurtia in Russia with 627 734 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
- 5.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 5.2 Other personalities
The village was founded in 1760 under the name Ischewski ( Ижевский ) on the banks of Isch, a tributary of the Kama. In 1918 he received the city rights and its present name. From 1984 to 1987, the city was temporarily Ustinov ( Устинов ) in honor of Marshal Dmitri Ustinov died in 1984.
Izhevsk is since 1921 the capital of the Republic of Udmurtia. The city is characterized particularly by the arms industry; the prominent Russian weapons designer Mikhail Kalashnikov lived until his death there. Particularly well known are the Ischmasch machine works. From 1946, the previously dismantled in the Saxon Zschopau motorcycle manufacturing facilities of the DKW - plant was rebuilt in the Ischmasch plants. In addition, there are ten large industrial companies, also two universities, medical and agricultural colleges and some vocational schools.
Note: Census data (1897-1926 rounded)
Further education institutions
- Branch of the School of Privatization and Entrepreneurship
- Branch of the University of Consumer Cooperation Moscow
- Higher College of Humanities and Engineering " Aeromech "
- Faculty of Law Institute of the MOI of Russia Izhevsk
- State Agricultural Academy Izhevsk
- State Medical Academy Izhevsk
- Izhevsk State Technical University
- Udmurt State University
- Udmurtisches Institute of the Academy of Public Administration of the Ural
- St. Michael's Cathedral in Izhevsk
- Sendemast Pesotschnaja, a 1962 erected, 195 meters high guyed steel tube mast, has through his arranged in two layers six crossmember, leading to the suspension ropes a striking appearance.
The Hockey Club Ischstal Izhevsk play in the second highest Russian league.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Andrei Abramov (1935-1994), Boxer
- Vyacheslav Alypow (* 1981), biathlete
- Vladimir Bekhterev (* 1973), biathlete
- Maxim Berezin (* 1991), ice hockey player
- Dmitri Blinov (* 1987), biathlete
- Sergei Bolshakov (* 1988), swimmer
- Svetlana Bubnenkowa (born 1973 ), cyclist
- Nikolai Buschujew ( born 1985 ), ice hockey player
- Dmitri Bykov ( born 1977 ), ice hockey player
- Yevgeny Dragunov (1920-1991), head of engineering
- Lyubov Jermolajewa (* 1975), biathlete
- Andrei Kirilenko ( born 1981 ), basketball player
- Kirill Knyazev (* 1983), ice hockey player
- Alexei Kobelew (* 1971), biathlete
- Leschtschow Albert (born 1971 ), ice hockey player
- Ivan Pesterew (* 1975), biathlete
- Rail Rosakow ( born 1981 ), ice hockey player
- Nadja Saidakowa, ballet dancer
- Pawel Tonkow (born 1969 ), cyclist
- Ivan Tscheresow (* 1980), biathlete
- Viktor Vasilyev (* 1987), biathlete
- Andrei Vedernikov ( b. 1959 ), cyclist
- Mikhail Kalashnikov, weapons designer
- Hugo Schmeisser, German weapons designer
- Hermann Weber, German motorcycle designer and racer