Johann Dientzenhofer

Johann Dietzenhofer ( born May 25, 1663 at St. Margaret Brann castle, Electorate of Bavaria, † July 20, 1726 in Bamberg) was a builder and architect of the Baroque period.

Origin and family

Johann Dietzenhofer was the youngest child of the mountain farmers Georg Dietzenhofer and Barbara, born in Thann. Because the family was poor, he had to go in search of work with his older siblings. Nevertheless, he became a successful builder who formed the well-known family of artists of Dietzenhofer along with his brothers George, Christopher, Leonhard, Wolfgang and his nephew Kilian Ignaz.


With 15 years of Johann Dietzenhofer is detectable in Prague because he was at the wedding of his 18 years older sister Anna with Wolfgang Leuthner, a relative of the architect Abraham Leuthner, present in 1678. It is believed that he lived in Prague with his sister, with Abraham Leuthner and Carlo Lurag or Jean Baptiste Mathey learned the bricklayers and stonemasons craft and then worked as a polish in his eight- year-older brother Christopher. In any case, show its own structures closely related to the structures, Christoph. For 1685 he has been entered in the registers of the Church of Our Lady under the Chain on the Lesser Town. In Prague, he has probably married.

Around 1696 Johann Dietzenhofer was called by his orders with richly covered up brother Leonhard to Bamberg, where he during the construction on the Michelberg found employment as a foreman and in 1698 as a Master Mason bought the Bamberger civil rights. In the same year he Bamberg Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn enabled a study trip to Italy.

After his return Johann Dietzenhofer was on September 4, 1700 - on the recommendation of the Prince-Bishop of Bamberg - appointed by the Prince-Abbot Adalbert von Fulda Schleifras to fürstäbtlichen pen builder. At the same time he was awarded the contract for the construction of the Fulda Bishopric Church, which was consecrated in 1712 ( and which could be called until 1752 when Dom after the Prince Abbot had become bishop). In the Fulda years he also redesigned the city palace in the Baroque style and was built according to their own plans, the summer residences Bieberstein and Geysa. In the Fulda Rittergasse 4 he built a house in baroque style for himself and his family.

After the death of his brother Johann Leonhard applied on November 30th, 1707 at Bamberg Prince -Bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn for the vacant Hofbaumeisterstelle, but it has been officially attributed to him until 1711, although he had run since 1708 Bamberger orders. In this position he traveled in 1713 via Prague to Vienna to discuss the plans for White Castle Stone in Pommersfelden with Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt.

His large contracts included the construction of castles white stone at Pommersfelden and Reichmann near Bamberg and reconstruction work on the Bamberg St. Michael's Church. Upon recommendation of the Prince-Bishop 1720-1723 he was the construction of the Würzburg Residence with Balthasar Neumann worked, which he has probably mediated Prague shapes his brother Christopher.

In addition to his architectural work, he designed in 1714 for the Banz monastery church, the pulpit and six altars that were built by Balthasar Esterbauer.

Despite success and trustworthiness Johann Dietzenhofer was not very good at business. Due to low Estimates him several times financial losses for which he had to adhere to contractually represented itself originated. When he died in 1726, his children and his widow, Mary Eleanor, who survived him by nine years, not well cared for. The construction business was continued by his son Justus Heinrich Dietzenhofer.


  • For the Prince-Abbot of Fulda: Fulda Cathedral (1704-1712)
  • Stadtschloss City Palace (1707-1712)
  • Castle Bieberstein ( 1709)
  • Castle in Geysa
  • Castle Stone at White Pommersfelden (1711-1718)
  • Castle Reichmannsdorf (1714-1719)
  • Bad Kissingen: New Town Hall ( 1709)
  • Bamberg Böttingerhaus (1708-1713)
  • Palais Rotenhan (1711-1718)
  • Bibra Palais (1714-1716)
  • Pleasure palace Aufseßhöflein (1723-1728)