July 20 is the 201st day of the Gregorian Calendar ( 202nd in leap years), thus still 164 days remain until the end of the year.
- 2.1 Before the 18th century
- 2.2 18th century
- 2.3 19th century
- 2.4 20th century 2.4.1 1901-1950
- 2.4.2 1951-2000
- 3.1 Before the 19th century
- 3.2 19th century
- 3.3 20th century
- 3.4 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 0802: Charlemagne receives as a gift from the Caliph Harun Al Rashid in Aachen the elephant Abul Abbas along with other gifts.
- 1402: Timur Lang Mongol defeat in the Battle of Ankara, the Turks under Sultan Beyazit I.
Science and Technology
- 0514: The widower and Roman deacon Hormisdas is Bishop of Rome.
- 1221: In Castile is commenced with the construction of the Cathedral of Burgos.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics. Entries to the World Cup games are found in the bottoms of football 's World Cup. The same is true for the European Football Championships.
Before the 18th century
- 0356 BC: Alexander the Great, the Macedonian king
- 1304: Francesco Petrarch, Italian poet
- 1369: Peter of Luxembourg, French cardinal and bishop of Metz
- 1519: . Innocent IX, Italian jurist and Pope
- 1656: Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, Austrian architect
Before the 19th century
- 2001: Carlo Giuliani, an Italian activist
- 2003: Nicolas Freeling, English crime writer
- 2004: Antonio Gades, Spanish dancer and choreographer
- 2005: James Doohan, Canadian actor, known as " Scotty" from "Star Trek "
- 2006: Gérard Oury, French film director and screenwriter
- 2006: Philipp von Bismarck, German farmer and politician
- 2006: Charles Bettelheim, French economist
- 2007: Ollie Bridewell, British motorcycle racer
- 2008: Uwe Claussen, German physician and geneticist
- 2009: Detlef Müller, German Writer
- 2010: Dagmar Altrichter, German actress and voice actress
- 2011: Lucian Freud, British painter
- 2012: Karin Elisabet Andersson, Swedish politician
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances St. Margaret of Antioch, Roman virgin, martyr and patron saint ( Anglican, Protestant, Catholic)
- St. Elijah, the Israelite prophet (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant: LCMS )
- Name Days Elias, Margaret
- State Holidays and observances Colombia 's independence from Spain (1831 )
- Germany: anniversary of the attack on 20 July 1944
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.
- Day in July