Kadui (Russian Кадуй ) is an urban-type settlement in the Vologda Oblast (Russia) with 11,284 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The settlement is located in the marshy lowlands Mologa - Scheksna about 150 miles as the crow flies west of Oblastverwaltungszentrums Vologda and 50 kilometers west of the city on the river Cherepovets Woron near its confluence with the Suda, a tributary of the Rybinsk Reservoir of the Volga. The south-west extending from Kadui rain Moor Semisjorskaja Tschist covers an area of approximately 200 km ².
Kadui is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons Kadui. The settlement includes several separate districts that are up to five kilometers from the center.
A village called Kadui seven kilometers northeast of the present settlement located and today part with only a few dozen residents to rural community Pustoradizy, was first mentioned in 1626. His name is probably of the Finno-Ugric words for kad juniper and wuej derived for brook, rivulet. Finno -Ugric tribes had dominated the area until the 12th century, when they were gradually displaced by Slavic settlers and the area was connected to the Principality Belozersk.
Especially since the beginning of the 18th century developed in the area, the production of iron from bog iron and resin, and the boat-building, in the second half of the forestry on a large scale. In 1901 started the construction of a railway from St. Petersburg to Vologda to connect the then capital of the Russian Empire a shorter route over Vyatka and Perm on the Trans-Siberian Railway. In 1904 at the track named after the old village station Kadui, and in consequence to this station a settlement. The regular train traffic was recorded on January 1, 1906.
1918, the station has grown settlement was Kadui administrative center of a volost ( village community ), 1927 of the newly created Rajons same name. From the 1930s, a forestry operation, a sawmill and a factory for the processing of wild fruits originated.
On June 7, 1947 Kadui received the status of an urban-type settlement. From 1968 kilometers north of the village on the banks of the Suda Tscherepowezker thermal power station ( GRES Tscherepowezkaja ) built, resulting in a doubling of the population result. The first power plant unit was on December 22, 1976 the third and last into operation in 1978.
Note: 1959-2010 Census data
Culture and sights
Kadui has since September 2000, a local history museum, which was created on the basis of jobs created in the 1970s, the school museum. After the initiator Alexander Jukow the museum is named.
The most significant attraction in the area are the remains of situated 30 kilometers north in settling Seljony Bereg on the right bank of the left Suda Creek Andoga Philipp- Irapski Hermitage ( Филиппо - Ирапская пустынь / Filippo Irapskaja pustyn ). It was founded in 1517 and later to the Russian Orthodox Krasnoborski Trinity Monastery ( Красноборский Свято - Троицкий монастырь / Krasnoborski Swjato - Troitsk monastyr ) levied. In the Soviet period the monastery was closed in 1927 and largely destroyed. In honor of St. Philip Irapski (named after the opening out at the hermitage in the Andoga Bach Irap ) a wooden church was built and consecrated on its name in Kadui end of the 1990s.
Economy and infrastructure
The largest company is operated by the utility OGK -6 Tscherepowezker thermal power plant with a capacity of 630 megawatts. Originally designed for use with peat, today natural gas and coal are used. There are also companies in the forestry and wood processing industry, the food industry and the construction and building materials industry.
The settlement is located on the since 2000 continuously electrified railway line Saint Petersburg - Wolchowstroi - Vologda ( kilometer 429). Kadui is a 18 km long access road along the railway line to the east by leading highway A114 connected Vologda - ( Saint Petersburg - ) Novaya Ladoga. Intra- local transport to the hamlets is operated by buses.