Pictures wanted

Kwidzyn [ kf iʣɨn ʲ ] ( German Werder Marie ) is a city in the Pomeranian Voivodeship and the seat of Powiats Kwidzyński in Poland.

  • 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 6.2 freeman
  • 7.1 Literature
  • 7.2 External links
  • 7.3 footnotes

Geographical location

Kwidzyn is located five kilometers from the Vistula by the river Liwa (Love ) and on the railway line Thorn- Marienburg in the historical province of East Prussia.


Until 1919 Marienwerderstraße was the capital of the governmental district Marienwerderstraße in the province of West Prussia. With the castle of the cathedral chapter pomesanischen ( Bishop's Castle ), the city hosts one of the largest castles in the German religious country, the Marienburg Werder.

Even the Anglo-Saxon seafaring Wulfstan mentioned the end of the 9th century an island called Quidin in the Vistula Delta. The name derives from the pruzzische ( " kweita " ) as to the Slavic ( Polish " kwiat " ) word for " flower " lead back.

The German Order had under Hermann Balk 1233 on a fortified by the Prussians hill in the area of the village Queden ( 1236-1945 Tiefenau, since Tychnowy ) created a castle called Insula sanctae Mariae. In the same year he moved them five kilometers further south on a hill, which had also been previously fortified by the Prussians.

The city Marienwerderstraße even put the order a little later north of the castle, and endowed it with one hand parties. After the founding of the diocese Pomesania Ordensburg came in 1254 in the possession of the bishop. He chose them in 1285 to his seat, but resided in Riesenburg (Polish Prabuty ) since about 1300. North of the city he was from 1264 to 1284 to build a cathedral. In 1322, the bishop began there with the construction of the Bishop's Castle to accommodate the cathedral chapter was founded in 1284. About this time also the Latin school seems to have been founded. The present cathedral was built in place of old in the years 1344-1355.

On March 14, 1440 founded in Marie Werderland nobility and cities of the Order state the Prussian Confederation, which came into opposition to the country's rule of the Order and in 1454 against the assurance generous privileges imputed to the King of Poland. In the division of the existing religious area in the 2nd Peace of Thorn Marie Werder remained the monastic state, and was henceforth the only town on the Vistula River. With the secularization of the Teutonic Order in 1525 under Albert I, the city Lutheran and part of the Duchy of Prussia, later the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1540 the demolition of the Order Castle began to rest on a small south for the castle hill of today's Old Town was the name Altschlösschen on. Towards the end of the 16th century the Latin School of Marienwerderstraße was one of the more significant Protestant schools. In the 18th century, the institute gained the power to dismiss the university. A new school building was built for the school in the period 1835 to 1938.

Due to the reclassification of Prussia after the frontier settlements of the Congress of Vienna in the years 1815-1818, the city came to mainly created from the acquisitions of the first partition of Poland province of West Prussia, became county seat and principal town of the district Marienwerderstraße, which included the southern West Prussia. Marie Werder was also the headquarters of the eponymous Higher Regional Court, which the district court districts Danzig, Elbing, Graudenz, Konitz and Thorn were assigned.

The Treaty of Versailles was the creation of the Polish Corridor to the Baltic Sea and thus the resolution of the province of West Prussia result. On 11 July 1920, the population in the plebiscite area Marienwerderstraße agreed with about 92 percent to remain with Germany, while the rest of the province was divided, without a vote between Germany, Poland and the Free City of Danzig. Then, the East of the existing province of West Prussia became the government district of West Prussia, headquartered in Marienwerderstraße the province of East Prussia.

In January 1945, Marie Werder was evacuated from the German side and later occupied for several weeks by the Red Army. The remaining undestroyed Marienwerderstraße served from March to November the 2nd Belorussian Front as a hospital town. There were several fires, which the old town was destroyed. After that, the city was placed under Polish administration and renamed " Kwidzyn ". The regional origin of the new Polish settlers Kwidzyns is unclear.

The been mined in Marienwerderstraße debris went as a building material to Warsaw. Since 2002, the old town is rebuilt on historic floor plan.



  • Castle of the cathedral chapter, built starting in 1322, originally with four wings, canceled the south and the east wing in 1798, which is also running round the cathedral battlements as already in 1677, in the 19th century courthouse and prison, now a museum
  • Cathedral, brick Gothic, built as a new building in 1344 to about 1355, with the tombs of three Grand Master and the bishops pomesanischen


The rural community Kwidzyn, to which the city does not belong, has 11,136 inhabitants ( as of June 30, 2013) and consists of the following villages:

  • Obory ( German Oberfeld )
  • Baldram ( Baldram, 1938-1945 Mergental )
  • Brachlewo ( Rachelshof )
  • Brokowo ( Brakau )
  • Bronno ( Brandau )
  • Bursztych ( outer dike )
  • Bystrzec ( Weisshof )
  • Dankowo ( Semmler )
  • Dubiel ( Dubiel, Neuwalde 1928-1938, 1938-1945 Daubel )
  • Gilwa Mała (small Gilwe )
  • Gniewskie poles ( Mewischfelde )
  • Gorki ( Gorken, from July 16, 1938 Waltershof, 1939-1945 Marie Werder Waltershof )
  • Grabówko (Klein Grabau )
  • Gurcz ( crediting, 1938-1945 Zander field )
  • Janowo ( locust village)
  • Jurandowo ( Rosenort )
  • Kamionka (Royal Kamiontken, Kamiontken 1928-1938, 1938-1945 Lamprecht village)
  • Korzeniewo ( Short Brack )
  • Kramrowo ( Kramersdorf )
  • Licze ( Licze )
  • Lipianki (brick paint)
  • Mareza ( Mareese )
  • Maly Baldram (Soon Ramer field )
  • Nowa Wies Kwidzyńska ( Neudorf )
  • Nowe Lignowy ( New Liebenau )
  • Nowy Dwór ( Neuhöfen )
  • Ośno ( DELETE )
  • Paczkowo ( Patschkau )
  • Pastwa (large willow)
  • Pawlice (Hans Walde )
  • Piekarniak ( bakers mill)
  • Podzamcze ( Unterberg )
  • Pole Rakowieckie (cancer field )
  • Polko Małe (small field )
  • Rakowice ( crustacean )
  • Rakowiec (Great Cancer )
  • Rozpędziny ( Rospitz )
  • Szadówko (small Schadau )
  • Szadowo ( Schadau )
  • Szadowski Mlyn (Mill Schadau )
  • Szalwinek ( Schadewinkel )
  • Szopowo
  • Tychnowy ( Tiefenau, in the 13th century Queden )
  • Wola Sosenka ( Wollaston )


Kwidzyn has since about 1990, twinned with Celle, Lower Saxony.


Sons and daughters of the town

  • John Marie Werder (1343-1417), theologian
  • Johann Friedrich List (1787-1868), mayor of Königsberg
  • Gustav Cohn (1840-1919), German economist
  • Rudolf von Auerswald (1795-1866), Prime Minister of Prussia
  • Ida from the Groeben (1791-1868), Pietist and writer
  • Heinrich Friedrich Jacobson (1804-1868), canon law and church historian
  • Ernst Kossak (1814-1880), journalist
  • Heinrich Ludwig Robert Giseke (1827-1890), poet and writer
  • Hermann von Dechend (1814-1890), first president of the Reichsbank
  • Rudolf Heidenhain (1834-1897), physiologist
  • Alfred Genzmer, (1851-1912), Surgeon
  • Albert Kolbe (1871 -? ), Mayor of Stargard in Pomerania
  • Kurt Rosenfeld (1877-1943), politician
  • Kurt- Jürgen von Lützow (1892-1961), Lieutenant-General
  • Witthöft Joachim (1887-1966), General of Infantry
  • Thuro Balzer (1882-1967), painter
  • Ida Siekmann (1902-1961), the first victims of the Berlin Wall
  • Rolf Lahr (1908-1985), German diplomat
  • Ernst Tillich (1910-1985), German politician
  • Dieter Gütt (1924-1990), German radio and TV journalist
  • Hardy Rodenstock ( b. 1941 ), artist manager and music publisher
  • Marek Szulen ( b. 1975 ), Polish composer and musician
  • Eugen Windmüller (1842-1927), genre and landscape painter


  • Hans Pfundtner (1881-1945), State Secretary in the Reich Ministry of the Interior