NASA (English [ næsə ], mostly German [ na ː za], English National Aeronautics and Space Administration, German National Aeronautics and Space Administration ) is founded in 1958, civilian U.S. National Aeronautics and Space. The headquarters is located in Washington, D.C. (NASA Headquarters, 300 E Street SW).
- 6.1 Affiliated institutions
- 6.2 Independent NASA facilities
Vision and Mission
NASA called its vision " to improve life here, to extend life to the outside and to find life out there." Hence the mission " to understand our home planet and protect, to explore the universe and search for life, and to inspire the next generation of researchers ." In February 2006, NASA emphasized the protection of the Earth from its mission statement to get it to match the proclaimed by President George W. Bush spaceflight program.
NASA was established on July 29, 1958 by the " National Aeronautics and Space Act ." Precursor was, inter alia, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. The Apollo program landed on July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, the first men on the moon and returned on July 24 safely back to Earth. In 1972 began the development of the Space Shuttle, the first launch was on April 12, 1981. 2012 ended the flights of the shuttle, the three remaining space shuttles were decommissioned and got to museums in the United States.
The future development of NASA is not currently assess. All projects on new technologies since the 1990s were eventually adjusted.
NASA announced on 4 December 2006 that a permanently manned lunar base station planning is.
However, the budget proposal of President Barack Obama in 2010 stipulated massive changes the purpose of the assignments to NASA. According to the Augustine Commission investigations that are planned under the Constellation program manned moon flights are based on old technology and would exceed the planned financial and time frame. To develop revolutionary technologies that could allow human spaceflight beyond Earth orbit was more important; this is the ISS are also served on the 2016 addition, and financial support. In addition, to develop spaceships in the future not only NASA, but also private companies. Overall, the plan even before an increase in NASA financial budget.
Manned flight with landing on Mars
In addition, NASA plans a manned flight to Mars. As a window of time the year was given in 2035 by NASA. The new manned spacecraft Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle ( MPCV ) should be based on designs originally planned for the Orion capsule system for the lunar base. To this end, NASA announced, to enable on September 14, 2011, the new, partly cross on technologies of the Space Shuttle, support system Space Launch System (short SLS ) to which is to be capable of manned flights to Mars, as well as to near-Earth asteroids.
List of NASA Administrators
After Griffin had announced his resignation January 20, 2009 as the president and his deputy Shana Dale change was already resigned effective January 17, NASA had to temporarily no administrator. The designated successor Griffins, the four-time space shuttle astronaut Charles Frank Bolden, was only confirmed on 15 July 2009 as the new head of the Senate. For Deputy Lori Garver was appointed, who was previously an adviser to President Obama when it comes to space policy.
NASA consists of a series of facilities. These include
- Goddard Space Flight Center ( GSFC ) Wallops Flight Facility with attached ( WFF )
- Johnson Space Center (JSC ) with the Mission Control Center (MCC )
- Kennedy Space Center (KSC )
- Marshall Space Flight Center ( MSFC )
- John C. Stennis Space Center (SSC )
- Ames Research Center (ARC )
- Dryden Flight Research Center ( DFRC )
- Langley Research Center ( LaRC )
- Glenn Research Center (GRC )
- Goddard Institute for Space Studies ( GISS )
- Michoud Assembly Facility ( MAF)
Independent NASA facilities
- NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts ( NIAC ): nanotechnology, space elevator, etc.
- NASA Office of Logic Design (OLD)
Manned space programs of NASA
- Mercury Program
- Gemini Program
- Apollo Program
- Space Shuttle
- International Space Station ( ISS)
- Constellation ( set 2010)
- NASA is the owner of two large tug: The Freedom Star and Liberty Star. These were the mountains and the removal of spent launchers at space shuttle program.
- NASA TV ( NASA Television) is the in-house television station of the U.S. space agency NASA. The transmitter can be received in the U.S. as a normal TV channels via satellite and cable, but also worldwide as IPTV channel.
- For some time, NASA regularly publishes apps for smartphones and tablets to vividly represent goals and missions and to make known to the general public. The latest example is an app that allows a virtual counterpart of the Mars rover Curiosity can be controlled.
- In July 2012, NASA released their first game for the Xbox 360 and can be downloaded free of charge and enables you to control the Curiosity mission with the help of the Kinect interface.
- In August 2013, NASA released video footage of the IceBridge mission. In the video material impressive scenes from the Arctic and Antarctic can be seen that arose during the research mission.