Nes [ ne ː s] ( Danish name: Naes ) is a place of the Faroe Islands in the south of Eysturoy. On the island Suðuroy there is another Faroese place with that name. See: Nes ( Vágur )
- Population: 246 (1 January 2007 )
- Postal Code: FO -655
- Municipality: Nes municipal
The municipality had Nes 2002 1195 inhabitants. It includes the neighboring towns Saltnes and Toftir, whereby Toftir the largest town of the municipality is.
The village Nes is located south of East Island Eysturoy at the West Coast at the long fjord Skálafjørður. Due to the strategic location at the entrance of the fjord stationed the British during their occupation of the Faroe Islands in World War II here two heavy guns to protect the important petroleum deposits against German warships. One of the two guns is still preserved. To protect against submarines the entrance of the fjord was secured with a steel net that was stretched under water to the other side.
It is impossible to say with certainty how many churches there has been once in Nes and when the first church was built. The first church, which is mentioned in documents, was built in 1679-1691, when Jacob Christensøn Klinte pastor was in Eysturoy. However, this church was hardly the first in Nes. Written evidence that since 1541 pastor lived in Nes, suggest that at that time there was also a church. In the first entry in the account book of 4 March 1691 states: I had built the church .... This might give an indication of the date of construction.
The records can be seen that seven years passed before the church got its tower, probably because the funds had been missing it. The costs associated with the Tower costs amounted to about one- third of the total construction costs. The relatively high price of the tower is due to the fact that it consisted entirely of wood, while several of the exterior walls were built of stone, which could be get easier and cheaper. This church stood up in 1761.
The following year, a new church was built. As a building material, wood was provided at this time. This church could be the first wooden church outside of Tórshavn, where in 1609 a wooden church was built (see Tórshavn Cathedral ). During demolition of the church in 1843 all usable building materials were transported by boat to Saltnes where a new school was built.
The present church at Nes was built in 1843 at the same location as the earlier church. It was built as a Christian pastor in Eusturoy Benedictus Guard and provost was in the Faroe Islands. It is one of the typical Faroese wooden churches, which still exist today. Today, it has become much too small, so that it no longer serves as a parish church for Nes- Toftir. Since 1994, the ultra-modern Fríðrikskirkjan performs this task in Toftir.
The old church is named after the provost and politicians Fríðrikur Petersen, who had his home in Nes. The old parish Nes was in fact several years provost established in the Faroes. More than half of the time in which there was a Faroese Provost, lived the provost in Nes. It was also Petersen's birth community, because he came from the neighboring Saltnes.