History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
◄ | 15th Century | 16th Century | 17th Century | ► ◄ | 1510er | 1520s | 1530s | 1540s | 1550s | 1560s | 1570s | ► ◄ ◄ | ◄ | 1537 | 1538 | 1539 | 1540 | 1541 | 1542 | 1543 | 1544 | 1545 | ► | ► ►
Heads of State
Year of the Metal Ox辛丑( at the beginning of the year metal rat庚子)
Syria: 1852/53 ( the year in October )
- Secured 3.1 Date of birth
- 3.2 Exact date of birth unknown
Politics and World Affairs
- May 8 Hernando de Soto discovered the first European to see the Mississippi River.
Europe and the Mediterranean
- Brand Prague Castle, including the go Bohemian regional records lost.
- Transylvania is independent principality under Ottoman tutelage.
- Grünenbach at Waldbroel is first mentioned.
- The Burmese king Tabinshwehti of Taungu conquered the city Martaban and destroys them mostly, after which they never regained their previous political and economic importance again.
- In the fall of Lüneburg thaler is characterized for the first time.
- The Chinese port of Xiamen is first used by European sailors as a trading port.
Society and Sports
- February: In a written in the county of Renfrewshire in the monastery of Paisley document the curling similar game with stones on the ice is first written records.
- Martin Luther wrote in hearty language the work Against Hanswurst on ecclesiology.
- The Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII of England is complete.
- In Santo Domingo on the island of Hispaniola, Santa María la Menor Cathedral is dedicated.
Historic maps and views
- FEBRUARY 21: Felipe V, Count of Hanau- Lichtenberg ( † 1599)
- March 25: Francesco I de ' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany ( † 1587 )
- November 9: Menso Alting, German preacher and theologian of the Reformation period († 1612 )
- December 14: Sophie of Brandenburg, Viscountess of Bohemia († 1564)
- DECEMBER 21: Thomas Schweickershausen, armless art writer († 1602)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Nobukimi Anayama, Japanese samurai († 1582)
- El Greco, Greek- Spanish painter († 1614)
- Hattori Hanzō, Japanese Samurai and Ninja († 1596)
- Renée de Rieux, demoiselle de Châteauneuf, French noblewoman, mistress of the French King Henry III. († 1582)
- Guðbrandur Þorláksson, Icelandic mathematician, cartographer and Bishop († 1627 )
- JANUARY 23: Gottschalk of Ahlefeldt, the last Catholic bishop of Schleswig ( * 1475 )
- MARCH 17: Angelo Beolco called Ruzante, Italian playwright (* 1496 )
- MARCH 18: Henricus Ubbius, learned jurist, East Frisian Chancellor and chronicler (c. 1495 )
- MARCH 25: Paul Lindenau, German Lutheran theologian (* 1489 )
- APRIL 29: John Gramann, German reformer and writer of hymns (* 1487 )
- MAY 23: Urbanus Rhegius, reformer, who was unusually active in both South and North Germany (* 1489 )
- MAY 28: Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury, English aristocrats and Catholic martyr (* 1473 )
- June 4: Pedro de Alvarado, the Spanish conquerors (c. 1486 )
- JUNE 26: Francisco Pizarro, Spanish conqueror (* around 1476 or 1478)
- November 4: Wolfgang Capito, the reformer of Strasbourg (* 1487 )
- November 9: Caspar Adelmann of Adelmannsfelden, German humanist and canons (* 1464 )
- November 15: Margaret Blarer, German Reformed Deaconess (* 1494)
- November 16: Elizabeth silver iron, German citizen woman, wife of the reformer Martin Bucer (* 1495 )