PKP classification system
The series scheme of PKP is a letter and number system for the classification and categorization of the different locomotive series of Polish State Railways PKP.
Electric and diesel locomotives and railcars
- E - Electric locomotive (Polish elektryczna )
- S - Diesel Locomotive ( spalinowa )
- P - Passenger Locomotive ( pasażerska )
- T - freight locomotive ( Towarowa )
- U - Universal locomotive ( uniwersalna )
- M - shunting ( manewrowa )
- W - hochflurig ( węzłowy )
- N - High - and low-floor ( normalny )
- D - for long distance calls ( dalekobieżny )
- A - rail bus ( autobus Szynowy )
- 01-14 - four axes, Bo'Bo ', DC, 3 kV
- 15-19 - four axes, Bo'Bo ', AC
- 20-34 - six axes, Co'Co ', DC, 3 kV
- 35-39 - six axes, Co'Co ', AC
- 40-49 - for different axis sequences and power systems
- 51-64 - three-piece, DC, 3 kV
- 65-69 - in three parts, alternating
- 70-74 - four-piece, DC, 3 kV
- 75-79 - four parts, alternating
- 80-89 - one-piece, direct and alternating current
- 90-93 - two-piece, DC, 800 V
- 94-99 - other
- 01-09 - mechanical power transmission
- 10-14 - mechanical power transmission, with multiple unit control
- 15-24 - hydraulic transmission
- 25-29 - hydraulic transmission, with multiple unit control
- 30-39 - electric power transmission
- 40-49 - electric power transmission, with multiple unit control
- P - Express Locomotive ( pospieszna )
- O - Passenger Locomotive ( osobowy )
- T - freight locomotive ( Towarowa )
- A - one driven axle, one or more drive axles
- B - B
- C - 1'B or B1 '
- D - 2'B or B2 '
- E - 2'B2 ' or 1'B1 '
- F - 2'B1 ' or 1'B2 '
- G - two driving axles, more than three drive axles
- H - C
- I - 1'C or C1 '
- K - 2'C or C2 '
- L - 1'C1 '
- M - 2'C1 '
- N - 1'C2 '
- O - three driving axles, more than three drive axles
- P - D
- R - 1'D or D1 '
- S - 2'd or D2 '
- T - 1'D1 '
- U - four driving axles, more than two synchronized axes
- W - E
- Y - 1'E
- Z - five driving axles, more than a barrel axis
- X - six driving axles including any running axles
- Bb - BB
The additional letter "K" ( Kusy ) referred tender locomotives. Locomotives with tender are not marked separately.
After the series designation, the consecutive serial number will be one to four digits specified. Two-piece electric and diesel locomotives is additionally included the letters A or B precedes.
- The number before the letters refers to the water content in cubic meters.
- The letter refers to the number of axles: C - Tri
- D - four axes
- The number after the letter denotes the year of manufacture of the tender.
For example, a tender with the number 22D23 has a water content of 22 cubic meters is four axes and was built in 1923.
Narrow track vehicles
The naming scheme for narrow track vehicles actually use any type names, but only encrypted features. Thus, very different vehicles can have the same feature encryption. The numbering of the vehicles are for steam locomotives, diesel locomotives and railcars separately. The distinction gauges based solely on the number count.
- L - diesel locomotive
- Lf - Diesel locomotive with baggage compartment
- M - Railcars
- P - Tender Steam Locomotive
- Pt - Tender
- T - tender steam locomotives
- Zt - Additional Tender
For tenders is available immediately after the identification of the Vehicle of the water content in cubic meters.
- A - First Class
- B - Second Class
- AB - First and Second Class
- W - 5 axes
- X - 4 axes
- Y - 3 axes
- Z - 6 axes
For two-axle vehicles, the labeling is not required.
- A - Running the front axle
- B - drive axle rear
- N - drive axle, front and rear
In locomotives without running axis labeling is not required.
- A - electric motor
- C - low pressure combustion engine (gasoline engine )
- D - high compression internal combustion engine (diesel engine)
From the UNRRA acquired locomotives are also marked with a "u".
In procured by the PKP steam locomotives, the last two digits of the year construction are given.