Port Alberni

Port Alberni is a city of almost 18,000 inhabitants in the Province of British Columbia. It is located on the island of Vancouver Iceland at the end of the Alberni Inlet and is the capital of the prefecture Alberni - Clayoquot.

For the economy of the region, but also the culture of the First Nations of Pacific Rim National Park is also of considerable importance as the Strathcona Provincial Park and Sproat Lake.

In the vicinity of the place and the town itself living members of the Nuu- chah- nulth, such as from the umwohnenden First Nations of Tseshaht, Hupacasath, Huu -ay -aht or Hesquiaht.


The city was named after the Catalan captain Don Pedro de Alberni (1747-1802), who at Nootka Iceland commanded the only Spanish fortress in Canada in the years 1790 to 1792. This place was the appointment of the Spanish Lieutenant Francisco de Eliza (1759-1825), who knew how to appreciate the good relationship Albernis to the Indians.

In the 1860s, the occupation of the site was carried out by British operator of a sawmill, which was led by the Anderson Company. In contrast, the Indians fought in vain through the construction of barricades. 1856 Adam Horne, a Scottish fur traders of the Hudson's Bay Company sent out to create a path across Vancouver Iceland. It was known a path of the Nuu- chah- nulth, which began in Qualicum. Horne took the path that led to the Alberni Valley. He is now known as the Horne Lake Trail. About him some settlers arrived in the Alberni Valley.

The original sawmill Captain William Stamp, built in 1858, was a commercial failure, but was followed in the 1880s, other, later even the only steam-powered sawmill in Canada, the McLean Mill, which was operated from 1926 to 1965. Since 1989, the mill is known as a National Historic Site. In the Alberni Valley Museum, efforts are made, the history of the region, including the Nuu- chah- nulth history display. Already in 1861 brought the Anderson Company on the basis of country awards by Governor James Douglas Wood from Somass River.

A year later gold at China Creek was discovered in the 1890s was followed by other small finds in the Alberni Inlet at China Creek and Mineral Creek. The search for gold continued until well into the 1960s.

AB Rogers, a surveyor, at the end of the 19th century came to the village to work for the Canadian Pacific Railway. According to him, a stream is named, which flows through the middle of Port Alberni, the Rogers Creek. 1912, the town was incorporated, thus got its own city government with mayor, as the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway Port Alberni reached. The plans of the Canadian National Railway, however, were dropped.

The city became the center of logging, since there were still large stocks of giant living trees and Douglas firs, but these were largely cleared. The largest Canadian timber companies were active here, originated sawmills. During the Second World War, the emphasis shifted to the pulp production, MacMillan Bloedel Limited dominated the Alberni Valley. However, over the sixties and seventies came the timber industry to natural boundaries, in addition, the residents fought back against the deforestation of other forests.

On June 23, 1946 destroyed a major earthquake measuring 7.3 numerous buildings in the city, such as the building of the Bank of Montreal. The epicenter was in the Forbidden Plateau north of Port Alberni. 1964 brought the Good Friday Earthquake known as earthquake and the resulting tsunami waves triggered two heavy destruction. It is located about 375 homes were damaged, completely swept away 55, but no one was seriously injured.

1967 were combined to Port Alberni ( in the north) and Port Alberni ( to the south) Alberni.

It was not until 1973 operated since 1920 Alberni Residential School was closed. This was one of the existing schools across Canada for the children of Indians and Inuit, who were housed there internat like. This led to thousands of attacks on students to high mortality rates, for which the government apologized in 2008. The building was demolished in 2009.

The city developed, especially after the Pacific Rim National Park was created, an important tourist center on Vancouver Iceland.


The census in 2011 showed a population of 17 743 inhabitants for the city. The city's population has thereby increased since the census of 2006 by 1.1 %, while the population grew throughout the Province of British Columbia at the same time by 7.0%.


The granting of the status of a city (incorporated as the City) and the local self-government related took place on March 12, 1912.

Mayor of the municipality is John Douglas. Together with six other citizens, it forms the Council of the Town ( council).


The average income of employees of Port Alberni in 2005 was of below-average C $ 23 392, while it was at the same time the average for the entire province of British Columbia 24 867 C $.


The city is located on Highway 4 and owns with the Port Alberni Airport has its own airport. In addition, a so-called Heritage Railway is operated, the leading Alberni Pacific Railway with a steam locomotive to the McLean Mill National Historic Site, which was operated from 1926 to 1965.

Further upside from here, a supply ship, the. Frances Barkley, to Ucluelet or Bamfield