The Six Flags, Inc. is an amusement park chain, headquartered in New York City, which has a total of 21 amusement parks in Canada, Mexico and the United States through its subsidiaries. In 2007 visited according to estimates about 24.9 million visitors, the parks of Six Flags. This Six Flags was after visitor numbers, the fourth-largest amusement park chain worldwide. The spectrum of Six Flags includes theme parks, water parks and animal parks. In New Jersey Six Flags operates the highest roller coaster in the world (see Kingda Ka).
The company Six Flags was founded in the U.S. state of Texas. In 1961, opened with Six Flags over Texas, the first park in the chain. The park's name refers to the six different nations, where Texas was in the course of history, and whose flags have flown over the state. From the name of the park, the chain took over as the first part of its name. Three years later, in 1964, the Pennsylvania Railroad bought the park. In 1967, the second park opened with Six Flags over Georgia.
In the 1980s, the Wesray Capital Corporation, controlled Six Flags at this time trying to bring the company into the movie business. 1984 came to a licensing agreement with Warner Bros. In 1987, Wesray RKO RKO Pictures Inc. successors and closed it with Six Flags to a new company - RKO / Six Flags Entertainment Inc. - together. The project failed, and RKO was sold again in 1989.
In 1998, Premier Parks took over for about 1.9 billion U.S. dollars, 100 % of Six Flags Corporation and decided to put their own farms under the flag of Six Flags. Premier Parks assumed the Walibi group with the parks Aquitaine, Bellewaerde, Rhone -Alpes, Lorraine, Wavre, and Flevo. In 1999, Premier Parks took over the Warner Bros. Movie World in Bottrop.
In 2000, Premier Parks was to Six Flags Inc. The Walibi Group was together with the Movie World Bottrop to Six Flags and Walibi Flevo European Division was renamed Six Flags Holland. In 2001, Walibi Wavre to Six Flags Belgium. A year later, in 2002, Warner Bros. Movie World Madrid was opened.
In 2004, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure was sold to Cedar Fair and was now called Geauga Lake. The Six Flags Inc. sold its European division to the British investment company Palamon, which continues to operate the parks under the name Star Park. The shares in the Movie World Madrid were sold to Time Warner and dissolved the actually designed on 100 years of management contract. For its own parks contracts were signed with DC Comics and Warner Bros., the Six Flags guarantee the exclusive right to use the themes and characters in theme parks. Securities of Six Flags, Inc. is traded on various markets under ISIN US83001P1093. By February 2003, the fictional character Mr. Six was part of an advertising campaign of the park.
After the company had been run high debt since 1998 and the share price fell in October 2008 as a result of the financial crisis below the minimum required, it was decided that for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June 2009. However, it was reported that neither layoffs nor closures are made of parks.
The opening credits of the sitcom " A strong family " was filmed at the amusement park Six Flags Magic Mountain ( Valencia, CA, USA).
- Great Escape ( Queensbury, New York, United States)
- La Ronde ( Montreal, Quebec, Canada )
- Six Flags America ( Mitchellville, Maryland, United States)
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom ( Vallejo, California, United States)
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas ( San Antonio, Texas, United States)
- Six Flags Great Adventure (Jackson, Ocean County [ New Jersey ], United States)
- Six Flags Great America ( Gurnee, Illinois, United States)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor ( Arlington, Texas, United States)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (Jackson, New Jersey, United States)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor (Valencia, California, USA)
- Six Flags Magic Mountain ( Valencia, California, USA)
- Six Flags México (Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico)
- Six Flags New England ( Agawam, Massachusetts, United States)
- Six Flags St. Louis ( Eureka, Missouri, United States)
- Six Flags White Water ( Austell, Georgia, United States)
Besides its own park, there are also others which bear the name, but do not belong to the company, but only be managed by him.
- Six Flags Over Georgia ( Austell, Georgia, United States)
- Six Flags Over Texas ( Arlington, Texas, United States)