Torre de Moncorvo
Template: Infobox Municipio / maintenance / management address is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / card is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Height is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Postal Code is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / mayor is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / road is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / management location is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Web page is blank Torre de Moncorvo, occasionally even Moncorvo, is a small town ( Vila ) and a circle ( concelho ) in Portugal with 2880 inhabitants (as at 30 June 2011). The county is part of the Upper Douro Valley that since 2001 a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the first protected wine region in the world was.
1062 was the first place city rights ( Foral ), which were confirmed after the independence of the Kingdom of Portugal by King D.Afonso Henriques ( 1140 ). Records speak of unhealthy circumstances that led to massive out-migration of residents, and the neighboring town of Vila Velha de Santa Cruz da Vilariça population growth and in 1225 for his part brought a city. 1258 Moncorvo was only a village in the municipality of Santa Cruz da Vilariça, which had its disease -bearing housing conditions but now overcome. 1285 was King D.Dinis city rights Vilariças to Moncorvo, which was henceforth as Torre de Moncorvo also headquarters of an independent circuit, and received fortifications.
Renewed in 1512 King Manuel I, the city rights.
Culture and sights
Among the monuments of the place include a number of mansions, stone fountains, historic public buildings and religious buildings, including built in the 16th century three-aisled Renaissance church Igreja Paroquial de Torre de Moncorvo (also Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção or main church, Igreja Matriz ).
The castle was gradually demolished over time. Last 1815, large amounts of stones for the renewal and expansion of military equipment were stolen at the location. Today, parts of the walls and three gates remain in place and are under monument protection. The historical town center as a whole is protected.
Torre de Moncorvo is the seat of the homonymous district. The neighboring districts are ( clockwise beginning in the north): Alfândega da Fé, Mogadouro, Freixo de Espada à Cinta, Vila Nova de Foz Côa Carrazeda de Ansiães and Vila Flor.
The following municipalities ( Freguesias ) lying in circle Torre de Moncorvo:
- Cabeça Boa
- Horta da Vilariça
- Peredo dos Castelhanos
- Souto da Velha
- Torre de Moncorvo
Sons and daughters of the town
- Miguel da Madre de Deus da Cruz (1739-1827), Bishop of São Paulo, archbishop of Braga
- Constantino José Marques de Sampaio e Melo (1802-1873), a florist, a known producer of artificial flowers in the 19th century in Lisbon
- Júlio Máximo de Oliveira Pimentel (1809-1884), politician, author, Mayor of Lisbon, Rector of the University of Coimbra
- Abílio Campos Monteiro (1876-1933), physician, writer, journalist and politician
- Praça Afonso (1939-2001), journalist and writer
- Dario Alves ( born 1940 ), painter