Vuissens ( Freiburg Patois Vouèssin? / I ) is a municipality in the district Broye the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Vuissens is located on 741 m above sea level. M., 11 km east-southeast of Yverdon- les- Bains ( straight line ) and forms an exclave of the Canton of Fribourg. The former street line village stretches a scenic location on a high plateau between the valleys of the west and Mentue Broye in the east, the western Fribourg plateau.
The area of 5.6 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Molassehügellandes between Mentue and Broye. The plateau of Vuissens located in the headwaters of the Petite Glane; it covered itself against northeast to trough of La Râpe. In the west, the area extends into the forest with the source of Flonzel ( side stream of the Ruisseau des Vaux ). To the south of the municipality of soil above the tree height of the Grand Bois extends ( 818 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Vuissens ) up in the vast Bois de la Rigne (813 m above sea level. M. ), and of the range of hills between the Vuissens valley of Lembe occupies. In the lowland between the Grand Bois and the Bois de la Rigne is the bog Les Marais. From the municipality surface 1997 3 % was attributable to settlements, 36 % of forest and woody plants and 61% to agriculture.
To Vuissens include the farm estate La Râpe (675 m above sea level. M. ) in the trough of the Petite Glane and some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Vuissens are Démoret, Champtauroz, Combremont -le- Petit, Denezy, Thierrens and Chanéaz in the canton of Vaud.
With 228 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Vuissens is one of the small communities of the Canton of Fribourg. Of the 93.0 % inhabitants are French-speaking, 3.5 % and 2.3 % speak German albanischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Vuissens amounted in 1900 to 247 inhabitants. After peaking in 1920 with 292 inhabitants, the population increased to 1980 due to strong migration by over 50% to 142 persons. Since then, the population hovered around 150 people.
Vuissens was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, the farming, fruit growing and dairy farming and livestock have an important place in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available. Vuissens has a golf course. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the larger towns of Broyetals and in Yverdon- les- Bains.
The community is located off the major thoroughfares on a road from Prahins after Combremont- le -Grand. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois, serving the hinterland of Estavayer -le- Lac out in a circular course, Vuissens is connected to the public transport network.
The first documentary mention of the place was in the 12th century under the name Guicens. Later, the names Vicens ( the 13th century ) published, Vuicens ( 1403 ), Wicens ( 1453), Knowledge, Vuiscens ( 1464 ), Vuissens ( 1578) and Vuycens (1668 ). The name goes back to the Burgundian personal names Wika and means with the suffix -ene as much as the people of Wika.
Since the 12th century Vuissens formed its own rule, which, however, the passage of time has seen numerous changes in ownership and was under the suzerainty of the Counts of Savoy. Due to the financial difficulties of the then owner Guillaume de Challants the lock on March 19, 1461 was taken from Freiburg. Through marriage the rule Vuissens came after negotiations with Freiburg in 1464 back to Savoy.
After Bern had conquered in 1536 the canton of Vaud, Fribourg took again the rule Vuissens, imputed the village but unlike the other communities for the time being no particular bailiwick. By purchasing the rule in 1598 went on to Freiburg final. 1608 Vuissens was incorporated in the Bailiwick font. The bailiff appointed by Freiburg moved his seat in that year in the castle Vuissens firm and served in the subsequent period to 1798 in the village; the Bailiwick it was renamed font Vuissens. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) was one Vuissens during the Helvetic Republic until 1803 Estavayer district and then to the district Surpierre before it was incorporated in 1848 in the District Broye.
The former castle of the lords of Vuissens, in the core to arise in the 13th century, learned over time multiple changes. After 1803, the chapel was demolished and used the castle as a poorhouse. So far, no major restorations have been made to preserve the buildings. The village has preserved some characteristic farmhouses from the 17th to 19th centuries.