2009 FIBA Americas Championship
The basketball Americas Championship 2009 ( officially: Campeonato FIBA Americas 2009 (english The FIBA Americas Championship 2009 )) is the 14th edition of this tournament and was held from 26 August to 6 September 2009 in the Puerto Rican capital of San Juan instead. In the tournament, it was next to the continental championship for national representative teams of men of the Continental Association FIBA Americas at the same time in order to qualify for the FIBA World Championship in 2010. Among the ten participating teams, the four semi-finalists qualified directly for the World Championships. As defending champion United States had already qualified as Olympic champion directly for the World Championships, we opted not to participate in the Continental Championships. The games were exclusively held in Coliseo Roberto Clemente.
- 3.1 Group A
- 3.2 Group B
Regional qualification according to the sub-zones of the Continental Association. The Mexican national team drew the fifth- placed team of the Centro Basket 2008 for the United States. After abandonment of the Cuban national team, the semi-finalists of the Centro Basket 2008 moved the Panamanian national team after the sixth- placed team of the tournament.
- Canada Canada
Central America & the Caribbean
- Puerto Rico Puerto Rico ( Host & Winner CentroBasket 2008)
- Virgin Islands United States U.S. Virgin Islands ( finalist CentroBasket 2008)
- Dominican Republic Dominican Republic ( bronze medal CentroBasket 2008)
- Mexico Mexico (fifth Centro Basket 2008, and substitutes for the United States, United States)
- Panama Panama (sixth Centro Basket 2008 and substitutes for Cuba )
- Argentina Argentina (winner Campeonato Sudamericano 2008)
- Uruguay Uruguay ( finalist Campeonato Sudamericano 2008)
- Venezuela Venezuela ( Bronze Campeonato Sudamericano 2008)
- Brazil Brazil ( semifinalist Campeonato Sudamericano 2008)
At the tournament in a preliminary round was held two groups of five teams as a round-robin tournament. The two lowest-ranked teams in the first round and then eliminated from the tournament, while the other teams playing off taking with their first round results, a second round as a continuation of the round tournament against the top four teams of the other preliminary round group. The top four teams this second round were qualified for the World Championships and played in the final round in the knockout system, the medals of the continental championships among themselves.
The preliminary round matches took place between 26 August and 30 August 2009.
The matches of the second round, which determined the four participants in the World Championships, took place between the first and the fourth of September 2009. The battered results of the preliminary round are indicated in italics.